Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use mudhole a lot great site. Customer service is exceptional. So is there rod blogs beginner an novice.
There are a few sites for rod building. They can answer questions about parts and products. However if you're looking to get started building rods you needs hands-on experience. If you're interested in rod building I'd be happy to help you get started. Just send me a PM.
As for the Mudhole I see they have some great prices on Lamiglas blanks. They are one of my favorite blanks to build with. However I've only used their offshore blanks in the past. I have a friend that does some consulting for Mudhole from time to time and I know he has built rods using just every kind of blank Lamiglas has to offer. He's the reason I started using them. Very lightweight and do just as good as rods that cost 2 or 3 times more.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's more than enough information on the internet to get rods wrapped without hands on experience. Hands on learning will GREATLY shorten the learning curve by A LOT! But it's nothing that can't be learned through much practice and re-wrapping for practice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's more than enough information on the internet to get rods wrapped without hands on experience. Hands on learning will GREATLY shorten the learning curve by A LOT! But it's nothing that can't be learned through much practice and re-wrapping for practice.
That's very true. For every hour I have as an apprentice I have at least ten hours either watching videos or reading. It's good to find a video and follow the pattern they are teaching. After that you can modify or change the wrap you learned to make your own wrap. Get yourself either the smallest diameter pvc pipe or wooden dowel you can find. Use them to practice your wrap. When you have it the way you want then you can practice putting the CP and then the epoxy. It's nice to have something physical to look back at.
Also don't waste your money buying thread online. Go to Jo-Ann fabric and buy Sulky brand thread. If you go on the Jo-Ann website you can sign up to get coupons emailed to you.
This link will open a PDF that will help you a lot to understand how to wrap patterns.
http://www.rodbuildingtutorials.com
If you need help with anything just PM me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just ordered a new set of guides, a tip top and some thread and epoxy. I have wanted to rebuild a nice graphite 7 ft that I have had for a long time. I have used that rod on Macs, steelhead and Kokanee. It just one of those rods the does every thing good.
Any ways thanks for info
CH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts