Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this place with Ruth the other day but we had to bail out as the lightening came in immediately upon our arriving to the waterside. I had a specific fly in mind for this particular location even before going there to see what it was like.

I stuck with that thought and went back out today to throw this fly around and see if there were any takers. The weather was stunning today.

The tide was wayyy in and water was deeper than I wanted it to be but after the hike in you just fish the hand you've been dealt. Still no kayak or boat so I am limited to walk in access which is scarce here.

Here is the hike in, not quite a mile. Swamp almost the entire way in.

Shoreline of mangroves.

First trout. Like catching little creek browns from the North Fork of the Frying Pan. Using a fairly light line...6 wt.

Schools of mullet would come through and every here and again one would get caught up on my bug. I hooked three accidentally right under the Operculum, the first one I hooked I thought he actually took the fly. Ha! Huge schools of these critters and then came the dolphins to chase them around..Kinda freaky. Sadly no picture of them crashing all around me.

I soon started catching a plethora of these little butter trout. After a couple hours of refreshment for the soul, I waded back to shore and hiked out. Good thing I did as the daughters bus was 25 minutes early today, doh!

Voracious little beggars.

Back in Colorado Saturday...Rado and Gunny here I come!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Please don't let us hear or read in the news about a former Coloradoan being eaten by a gator or strangled by one of those pythons on the loose. Otherwise, keep at it and keep us informed. We're living vicariously through you now that there is some snow on the ground.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Please don't let us hear or read in the news about a former Coloradoan being eaten by a gator or strangled by one of those pythons on the loose. Otherwise, keep at it and keep us informed. We're living vicariously through you now that there is some snow on the ground.
Lol. Maybe Florida is an emerging anaconda and python fishery. That'd be sweet!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Nice, Looks like a pretty cool adventure to hike through the glades and then wade fish!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cochise
Mullett will take the fly.. Try 14-16 green hares ear.. They're algae eaters and anything green will get attention.. Couple feet under a indicator ahead of the pack.. Good job on the specks. They seem to run the same size in the school, gotta find them gators..
I'm headin to Fl tommorrow till Dec. and do alot of snookin under the lites in the Venice area.. Can be fish in a barrel usin small white streamers to match the glass minnows cruisin thru.. They get the water boiling and are easy targets.. If your up that way lets fish.. PM the forum.. Gotta luv the salt--V

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Cody so is that swamp fresh, brackish or salt water?...are there gators and snakes in there? If so how freaky is that?...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Making do.

I prefer not to walk through swamps and marshes. Black mud ..deep water, scary chit at times. Not the same as walking through black timber to one of my high country streams.

Even more scary is when the dam sharks and dolphins come in to feed in the shallows while you are 1000' off shore. Some of the most impressive looking and sounding feedings you can witness.

It'll make your hair stand up right now. Those machines move at the speed of light.

It will be less new to me each time I go...until then it still freaks me out a lot of the time. Everything down here will buzz ya bite ya or stick ya.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts