Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I use an ultra lite with 4 lb test that I love to fish trout, perch, and blue gill on. I have another medium rod with 12 lb test that I am planning on using for Channel Cats this year. Can anyone recommend a good multi purpose line test? Will that medium action with 12lb do for Bass, Walleye, and the Channels?

M

·
0 Posts
I rarely fish with anything heavier than 6 or 8 lb test. I use the heavier lines for catfish but other than that, 98% of my fish are caught on 6lb test or lighter. I tie my own crawler harnesses in both 6 and 8 lb test.

There are two thoughts - size to the size of the fish, or size to the conditions you are fishing. If I'm fishing for trout, perch, blue gill, I'm rarely fishing in heavy weeds or cover. I size to the fish (I just shake my head when I see people fishing Georgetown with 8lb test - as hard as you try, you are more than likely not going to catch an 8lb rainbow out of Georgetown - you're more than likely going to catch a fish 2 or 3lbs or less). On the other hand, if you're fishing for bass in heavy cover, it may be a good idea to use a heavier line to stand the abrasion of the cover.

Catfish have poor eyesight so the thickness of your line doesn't make much difference. I've fished with 25lb test for catfish and cast directly into a pile of brush (and successfully pulled the fish out).

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I like 8 pound test. I will use 6 pound test but I am not as comfortable with it. Pike fishing I like 20 pound big game with a 50 leader of seagar flouracarbon. If i catfished it would be the same but everything else is 8 and 6 sometimes.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I go 8lb on my medium action rods. If the drag is set right, You really don't need anything else. It's quite important to match line size with rod and lure weight/ size to get things to work the way they should.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I also like 8 lb test but I favor rods with a medium light action. I use Triliene XL in the green color. I know that the walleye and a few nice smallmouths haven't had a problem with the size of the line.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I favor 2-4 lb for small spinners, 6 lb for casting regular lures, and I switch to 8 lb or higher for bottom fishing just because of the possibility of getting snagged up.

The weight of the lure or sinker you are casting makes a big difference, too. For instance, fishing 8 lb. line and a 7 ft. rod, if I put on a 1/2 oz. sinker and really haul back for a long two-handed cast, I can snap that baby right off and watch my sinker fly across the lake. But I can't snap the line with a 3/8 oz. sinker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts