Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just checking out the vexilars and murcums , the guy at the littleton sportsmans told me that the marcums were better they have more watts , ive havent decided on one yet but i was just looking for some input on the murcums thanks

·
Registered
804 Posts
I also use to think it was a Ford vs Chevy thing until I bought one and had the chance to compare it with the competition. Do yourself a favor and see them both in action and it will be quite obvious which one has stepped it up in several categories. ;)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
All I can say is that I've had my vex for about 13 years now and it still runs great. One thing that I do to hopefully reduce wear and tear on it is leaving it on all day instead of turning it off every time I move on the ice.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
You can only rengineer the wheel so many times before you screw it up. i have two vex's . an fl 18 and an fl8se and i think vex got it right as the only time i have a problem is when someone with a marcum fishes too close to me. how much power do you really need in a flasher when you rarely fish in less than 75 ft of water. both my vex's have plenty of power for that. plus vexilar has been around for a long time and probably will stay around a long time. who knows about marcum???

·
Registered
344 Posts
As many others have stated Chevy vs. Ford, have 1 of each, both work equally well.
Vexilars website is much better than Marcums, there is much more information on trouble shooting etc. and they answer e-mails quick with answers to your questions. I have the Vexilar FL8 SE, and if I was to do it again I would buy the FL18, not only do you get the zoom, but you have the option on the Ice-Ducers, get the 9/19 degree($100.00, if you but it seperately), the 9 degree helps on steep bottoms when you are fishing deep, with a 19 degree you may have a dead zone since the sonar picks up the leading edge(the high side), you may not be able to see your bait if your near the bottom. The Ice-Ducer is better than the arm on the Marcum, much quicker to move.
I used the Marcum at 11-mile, Sat night and should have used the Vexilar do to the fact that I could have put it in the center between my holes and just moved the Ice-Ducer, or maybe use both, but I have not got the interference issue totally figured out yet.
Take Care and Good Luck

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Just bought a Marcum LX 1 for really cheap but brand new and its been great. No complaints at all. I have never seen a FL 18 or LX 5 so I guess it might be better that way not knowing what i'm missing. The only problem that I heard about and it was from last weekend at a crowded area at Granby was the interference. Some guy was making it known that a marcum must be being used because of the interference. however some evil side of me found that amusing and knowing if your in a hot spot you could possible thin it out with a Marcum J/K I wouldn't do that on purpose.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
Chevy vs. Ford

Toyota vs. Honda

You'll hear a lot from both sides on this one...but you really can't go wrong with either one.
Small trucks to get you to and from your favorite fishing destinations without having to compromise a few of those lures you wanted to buy for gas money..... Toyota is the way to go.

Small flashy import cars to build up high revving 4 banger engines to impress the wannabe car models at the track and attract theives & police alike..... Honda is the way to go.

I drive both.

And I have just been off-topic busted  8)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
one of my friends has a marcum and inteference is a terrible problem for my vexilars. but if someone fishes too close to me with a marcum i'll just get out of my shelter and start drilling holes with the jiffy untill they leave or i run out of gas. i can drill holes all day long..

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have a vexilar fl-18 and love it. I don't know jack about the marcum units, just wanted to throw it out there that the fl-18 is awesome.

·
Registered
935 Posts
jamiehughes said:
one of my friends has a marcum and inteference is a terrible problem for my vexilars.  but if someone fishes too close to me with a marcum i'll just get out of my shelter and start drilling holes with the jiffy untill they leave or i run out of gas. i can drill holes all day long..
Great strategy. :D

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Cutthroat said:
jamiehughes said:
one of my friends has a marcum and inteference is a terrible problem for my vexilars. but if someone fishes too close to me with a marcum i'll just get out of my shelter and start drilling holes with the jiffy untill they leave or i run out of gas. i can drill holes all day long..
Great strategy. :D
See Marcum's will also provide many free holes another plus

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I been giving some thought to the Marcum interference problem and maybe duct taping a large M on the back of the hut might warn people with Vex's but then again Beerman who I see out there might think its the Miller Beer tent. Boy I just don't know Angry Beerman coming out empty handed or multiple holes.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
has anyone ever used 2 marcum flashers next to each other in a shelter or in very close proximity? and how was the inteference factor? even my vex's occasionally intefere with each others readings sometimes, usually when both flashers are cold first time using them in the morning. it usually settles down pretty fast though. just wondering if any one has used the marcums next to each other and be honest please.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My Marcum (LX-3tc) has interference rejection(IR). I also have an old Lowrance Fish Lo-K-Tor and the IR cancels out all the Lowrance signals. The Lowrance doesn't seem to pick up any interference from mine or other units.
My dad has an FL-18 and we have had them out on the lake together before. The features he wishes he had that I have are the zoom that you can move up and down the water column and the automatic battery charging system(you can buy an auto charger from Vex, but it doesn't come with it). I like the way his transducer sits in the water better than the arm on my Marcum. He has the propack and I like his carrying case better than mine. I think Vex does a better job of teaching how to read the dial on the flasher too. Marcum gives you a little manual with one picture showing one instance of what a readout could look like. I learned mostly by trial and error and from my dad telling me what his manual and video taught him.
As far as the data goes, there's not much difference. My dad says my Marcum might have a slight edge in clarity, but if there is, I think it's hard to see.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had the fl-8 se worked very well for me , But went and tried the new marcum lx3-tc , Had to have one . You should seriosly take another look you wont be disapointed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts