Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to take a buddy out later next week and get him into some musky.
Anybody chased any this year? Is Quincy still a good bet?
Gross? Any other suggestions? Got all the right gear just haven't been in 2 years, so i don't know where is still hot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Talked with the ranger at Quincy last week. Evidently the musky have been dying off of "old age". DOW hasn't stocked them in recent years, and as you likely know, they don't reproduce. By his report, not one Musky was caught this year. So in short, it ain't what it used to be for Musky.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hatchmaster said:
Are you talking about prospect ponds in Fort Collins.  If so which pond is number three?
Yes, those are the ponds I am talking about. #3 is the third one from Prospect. The first is private with a fence around it. The second is no good, it had a fishkill a couple of years ago. The third one has Tiger Muskies in it. The DOW stocks them every year, usually 30 at a time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
chuckinflies said:
Talked with the ranger at Quincy last week.  Evidently the musky have been dying off of "old age".  DOW hasn't stocked them in recent years, and as you likely know, they don't reproduce.  By his report, not one Musky was caught this year.  So in short, it ain't what it used to be for Musky.
What are you talking about? check out coloradomuskies.com

on 7/16/05 a guy caught 11 muskie in 1 day at evergreen lake

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe he was talking about Quincy, not statewide.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had asked about quincy, I think he was refering to the musky sitch at Quincy. So go ahead and read your own quote before you jump down someones throat. Obviously there have been musky caught somewhere in the state, and I am sure chuckinflies knows that, again he was refering to quincy, and after investigating a little i found out he was right, very few if any people have pulled out musky(quincy) this year. rip lip mentioned evergreen lake a few posts back, I took his advice and took my buddy out to Evergreen lake and we landed several a piece. Thanks rip lip. I really showed a good old trout loving Montana boy some good toothy critters, and he had a hell of a time.
scody, try not to sound so hostile.

·
Registered
117 Posts
thanks for setting me straight, ill try to be more sensitive in the future.

I didnt realize that "what are you talking about" was hostile. I retardedly assumed he meant statewide eventho he said ranger at quincy. oops, i just didn't want to hear that all my musky hunts so far this yr have been for nothing.

again sorry chuckinflys

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nogoodtytroutbum. Was your evergreen trip recently?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nogood....sounds like you had a great trip, glad to hear. Wanted to also toss in that Stearns Lake in Boulder County is also stocked with Muskie. My neighbor has reported seeing some nice sized ones cruising the banks. What's your time table looking like for a Pan trip? This time of year can be awfully quiet up there ;)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Sorry I'm still a little confused on prospect ponds. Your not talking about riverbend ponds are you? Are they the ponds south of prospect east of timberline?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fishingits,
It was thursday of last week. Used some big 2x #2 articulated ugly......"things", mostly ostrich hearl and flashabou. Nothing big by any means,just some fun fish to catch.

Whisper,
Anytime buddy. I will go tommorow if you give the word.
How about this weekend? Got both days free.Let me know. I think I lost your number, but email it to me again.
[email protected]

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hatchmaster said:
Sorry I'm still a little confused on prospect ponds.  Your not talking about riverbend ponds are you?  Are they the ponds south of prospect east of timberline?
No, I'm not talking about Riverbend Ponds, they are the ones north of Prospect. To get to Prospect Ponds in Ft. Collins, they are indeed south of Prospect and east of Timberline. From Timberline and Prospect go east on Prospect to Sharp Point Drive, go south on Sharp Point Drive. First you will see a pond that is fenced in, that one is private. The next pond had a fishkill a couple of years ago so don't bother with it. The third pond is the one with Tiger Muskies. Then there is a fourth smaller pond which I have never had much luck with.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I wouldn't completely write Quincy off. I fish it pretty hard with the fly rod for bass and Tigers. Typically I will fish bass, but fish flies that have proven succesful for muskies in the past as well as bass. My biggest producer is the diver on a sink tip line. I strip hard and bring it down to about six feet and let it float up to the surface. Doing so I pick up quite a few largemouth as well. I always use 65 pound mono as my leader section and I dont bother to taper it. Now when I say I have had success lets first consider the fish we are speaking of. you can't expect to go out to quincy and hammer a bunch of tigers. They are certainly a fish of what seems like a million casts. However, each of the last three years I have hooked atleast 2 of them. so rest assured, they are still in Quincy but I do see fewer and fewer each year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts