Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know this is the fly fishing forum but believe there are some hardware throwers here. I've been 95% of the time fly fisherman my adult life. But have two boys that are getting to the age that I'll start taking them out on the water. I want to start them catching fish, eventually get them into fly fishing, just not yet. So like to know what are 'must have' lures in the tackle box to cover predominately trout but also bass, etc. Mostly still water but work just as well on rivers, mostly bank fishing but will occasionally get the drift boat and/or alumacraft out. Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
for trout you can use kastmasters,little Cleos, if fishing lakes in rivers blue fox, panther martins and really smaller rappalas will work in either

·
Registered
337 Posts
When I started taking my boy, I tried doing the bait thing with him. He couldn't stand waiting for something to hit and just wanted to cast and reel. Since I don't really have lures I tied flies below a clear bobber for him and told him to go for it...just reel it in slow. It's really a good way to get into 'em for the kids. As far as lures go, what littlemac said is what I remember using back in the day.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Good question!

Fly fishing has ruined me! when my boy spin fishes I shrug my shoulders and tie on a nymph or san juan worm below a bobber..

BTW: if you plan to CnR those fish, replace treble hooks with a single (barbless preferably :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I hear you on the bait thing. I'd rather have them get use to casting and reeling. Thanks littlemac on the suggestions. I probably have a few of them in a old tackle box, though most are all rusted up from years in the back of the garage. I'm actually pretty excited on exploring the world of trout fishing with the ol' spin reel and my boys. Seems like I skipped that step, went from bait fishing as a kid directly to fly fishing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
They all work. Time and place. I second the replacing the treble with a single barbless if you plan on releasing a catch. Teach them how to fight a fish and barbs/trebles become unnecessary. They also will come out of the fingers, ears, arms, legs, back...much easier and the crying won't last nearly as long. lol

·
Registered
356 Posts
My boy's also had some luck on those "shad soft baits" that you can pickup at walmart or wherever. I like them because they are already heavily weighted and have a single hook; so you can just pinch the barb and go.... I also learned not to buy the cheap-o lures if you want to replace the treble with a single; the are so cheap you will break every lure when trying to get the treble off the thing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got up to the Grand Mesa this last weekend and out on the 14-ft jon boat. Trolled dynamic lures and couldn't keep the bows off the line. Nothing big but boys loved it. Plenty of snacks kept us fishing for several hours. Good stuff - awfully dry up there but at least no skitters....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts