Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 year old son and I have doe muzzleloader tags for the plains deer season that opens on Saturday. Up until last night, we also had a great place to hunt them. I spoke with my landowner last night and due to the extreme fire danger out east, he is not allowing muzzleloader hunting this year. He did offer to allow us to hunt with rifles, but I don't think the DOW will allow that! We are now the proud holders of tags for units 104, 105, and 106...with nowhere to use them.

If anyone knows of a landowner in any of these units that might allow us, or at the very least my son, to hunt does I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.

Otherwise, I'll guess we'll have tag soup!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roughly from I-25 on the west to Limon on the East, and I-70 on the north to Hwy 24 on the south. The boundry squirrels around a little, but that is a general area. The place we've been hunting is near Agate, straight north of Simla.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
COLOH2OFWLR said:
Roughly from I-25 on the west to Limon on the East, and I-70 on the north to Hwy 24 on the south. The boundry squirrels around a little, but that is a general area. The place we've been hunting is near Agate, straight north of Simla.
sorry can't help there! I was thinking it was farther east by area 103. Bonny res. area! Hope you find what you are looking for. If you have a bow, i think that would be legal! just a suggestion!

Jim

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right from the big game brochure:

"Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading seasons."

I even called the DOW to confirm that. In rifle season you CAN use a bow. But NOT in muzzy season. I find that silly myself.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
if it was just north of hwy 24 i could give you a name but hwy 24 to the el paso co line is in unit 110. i used to hunt that in muzzleloader season for years. i know that in 105 there are a lot of ranchers who would let you hout deer or speed goats. i have talked to some of them but i don't remember any of the names

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Remember as a backup plan you guys can surrender your tags at dow friday for a refund of the price of the tag plus any points you might have burned to get the tag. Not best case scenario I know but better than just tag soup. I think you can do this anytime before the season starts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys. We got the tags as 2nd choice, so no points burned. I have Friday off, so I'll have a long day of knocking on doors...all I need is 1 'yes'! I don't care if I don't get to hunt, but this is the first time my son will be out with the muzzleloader. He has harvested deer with a high power rifle, but I am trying to nudge him into the 'primitive arms' arena. I am sure this has happened for a reason, and SOME good will come out of it! We'll just wait and see what that may be.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Good luck finding a place to hunt.

I've gotten into muzzleloader hunting myself, and the laws are pretty strange. In muzzleloading season you can't use sabots, pellets, and a scope. I understand the reason for all that. However, you can use that same muzzleloader during the normal rifle season with sabots, pellets, and a scope.

Makes no sense.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well this seems to have worked out pretty well after all. A friend from another forum put me in touch with a landowner out near Kiowa and we were able to hunt yesterday morning. Although we didn't see anything, it was great to be out with my son, and enjoy a BEAUTIFUL early fall morning together.

When we left there, we decided to stop in and say hi to the rancher where we hunt antelope. He has not allowed deer hunting for several years, and so I never contacted him about hunting deer there. As it turns out, the whitetails have moved in, and he HATES them! Since he wasn't at the house, we visited with his wife for a while and explained our situation. To our surprise, we were promptly given permission to hunt a section of creekbed known to be a whitetail hangout.

At noon we were almost to the far end of the property when we jumped several deer from a THICK patch of locust. One doe had been bedded and remained hidden while we stood within 20 yards and discussed our options. When my son walked to the far side of the patch, she stood up and he could only see her head and neck. I didn't see her at all, but he did and made a good shot! His first deer with a muzzleloader!

After taking care of her it was time to head out. As this was his deer, Dad only carried the rifle and other gear for the mile long trek to the truck. All in all, it was an awesome day and we are greatful there are still landowners out there that allow hunting for merely a handshake and a smile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts