Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, after my ice outing with my son, I started thinking about what I wanted to accomplish this year, in regards to fishing. Not a list of species with specific sizes or even specific lakes, per se... I really reflected on why I love this state and this sport so much, what I can do as a person and as an angler to help my beloved sport in my beloved home state. I have listed these in order of priority, and will try to update this thread as as I mark off an item from the list.

1) Develop and help implement improvements to Vanderbilt Pond here in South Denver

2) Attend at least 3 CPW meetings to offer my opinion and assistance on fishery-related matters

3) Attend at least 3 DPR meetings to offer my opinion and assistance on fishery-related matters

4) Volunteer at least two days a month with DPR on lake cleanups and improvement projects

5) Learn the fisheries within a 50 mile radius of my home in order to better understand the challenges facing them.

I hope to accomplish these goals and stay focused in 2014... I want my son and daughter to inherit great fisheries, and if I can help in some small way, I will make every effort.

Tight lines, all.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Looks like some reasonable goals to get done in a year. There are A lot of fisheries in a 50 mile radius of the metro area. I suggest pick 2 of your favorites and focus on them. Getting to know a fishery takes a lot of time. What works for me concerning Dillon and Green Mountain is to plot out were I fished each outing on the topographical maps. I number them and those numbers correspond with my journal and report about the outing that has all the info I gained. Its fun and helps me decide were I want to fish on the next outing, and helps me see the common aspects of the successful days.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

On fisheries, I have one small set of ponds as one of my primary foci... I'll start there, learn each of the ponds in the set, and probably move to a funny little lake, hidden in plain sight, that holds gold...

:)

As for work, I'm pretty close to having that locked down. ;)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea man.. this was by choice though. I hated my job, and my wife just started in a new field. She needed to go full time, so I bowed out gracefully.

I need someone to pay me to catch bluegills and carp, and I'd be set!!

:thumb:

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
True...You're a young guy with two young kids..take it from an old guy..make hay while the sun shines...Now that's an old guy statement..:D
this. The only goal I got this year is to fish when I can. 2014 is gonna be alot of grinding and driving like last year.... gonna spend some time in wyoming so grey reefer is gonna be good.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
and owen, just fish dude. despite the ills that plague our local ponds, there's nothing much you can do. I know youre fairly new at colorado fishing... so take it from a guy who has traveled abroad and moved back within the last 10 years and is still figuring **** out here, just enjoy what we have... I've learned through here and talking to others that the powers that be don't give a **** about anything other than easy to produce salmonids in colorado and nothing else will change unless theres a purge in the CPW management and they want to totally change things around. find jewels and keep them to yourself. despite it being january, there's tons of opportunities to fish open water and ice not far from denver and within your limited schedule. ****, homie... gross just opened up on the side of the lake that offers the better chance at fishing. go roll up there and get some stockers and the chance laker that will be feeding close to shore because of the water being super cold.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As some have suggested, they may be a bit ambitious, but I am fairly confident the meetings will be relatively easy to attend... As to volunteering with DPR, that is no big deal at all. I try to take my boy out once a month or so to clean up my home pond (Huston Lake) anyway... it's free outdoors time with the boy, and a good cause. I'll just sanction it with DPR so they provide trash bags.

On fisheries, fordo put a finer point on what I was saying. I don't intend to learn everything about every fishery within a 50 mile radius, but I do wish to learn a few of them inside and out... and I want to fish many others. Those I cannot fish, I wish STILL to familiarize myself with the history and issues related to each one.

If you don't aim high, you won't get very far. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts