Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My adventure began when I left my humble Aurora home at 4:30 A.M.  I love driving to places while it is still dark, and the early bird always catches the worm.  Makes you feel like a real fisherman or something.  Anyway I arrived at BELLAIRE LAKE, in the Red Feathers area after learning about it on this site (Thanks Hatchmaster for the report), at about 6:45 A.M.  No one else was at the lake when I arrived, it is really a beautiful lake.  Drilled a hole and had my first stocker in about 30 seconds, and the action never stopped.  Methods used: many small ice jigs in multiple colors tipped with mealworms and nightcrawlers, silver kasty also tipped, white tube jigs tipped with nothing.  I ended up catching about 30 rainbows in about 2 hours, all small and about 10 inches give or take a couple inches.  The hike up to the lake was really not bad, but be prepared for some wind!!! It never stopped blowing.  I left at 9:30, headed to Boyd to fish some OPEN WATER?!?!........first some pics from Bellaire

When I got to Boyd at 11:00 I was sure there would be open water.  This was not the first time that this fisherman was dead wrong.  To my horror there was no open water and I was bummed.  I decided to walk out on the boat ramp peir and drill a hole to test the thickness of the ice.  1  inch thick and solid as a rock if you were a rabbit.  Stepped on it will holding on to the peir and it cracked in every direction and UNSAFE! I then decided to drill a few holes at the end of the boat ramp peir.  I dropped down an ice jig and got a bite in about ten minutes.  Missed the bite but he came back.  A nice 15 inch bow that I thought was a bass by the way he fought me right under the hole.  Then this guy and his wife show up with his pontoon boat and decided that they are going to break the ice!!!! There was no open water even in the middle to go to!  Anyway I tell him that I dont think it is a good idea while his wife is calling him a nut.  I pulled out the camera a took a picture as he tried to back up and "launched" onto the frozen lake.  Scrapped his transom pretty hard and cracked the ice a little and got about 3 feet from shore before giving up and going home. Pics of the frozen lake, the bow, and the nut and his boat.

Left boyd at about 12:30 and called it a day.  It was a great and relaxing time that I hope all of you can experience soon.  Lets keep those lines tight.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Great post!

I was supposed to go to Bellaire yesterday...but somebody couldnt get out of bed...not me!

I love the last picture...there should be a written test for owning a boat...caption should read...Coast Guard Cutter sold seperately!...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can see it now.
Husband to wife, Listen honey, I bought this boat and I plan on using it. The ice isn't real thick and the salesman told me this thing will handle anything I can throw at it.
He's probably wondering why the wife is now at home working about as well as his boat. This guy needs to bring that thing down here to Flori-duh this time of year, he would fit right in!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Nice report atownbasser. Glad to hear you figured out those fish. HA! But those pics look an awful lot like dowdy. ;D ;D Yeah I'm sure of it. it must be dowdy. So for any one reading this the action is at dowdy. Don't make that trek to bellaire just to catch a couple stockers. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
best post of the day goes to atownbasser. I can't stop laughing about the guy and his boat.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Did you keep any? if so, how big & what #s ..... did you limit??

Elevation?

Anyone have city/county/zip/park info ? .... for weather

thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
what was that guy thinking man i am amazed by some pepole "heres your sign" ??? thats got to be one die hard angler. I really think some pepole shouldnt have a boat there should be some type of license to own a boat or a course you should take. O0

·
Registered
246 Posts
Great post Lefty. I took a buddy of mine and his son ice fishing on Sunday. I was going to take them to Bellair and decided to take them to Dowdy instead. We had a 25+ fish day. I let them use the shelter and I fished outside. It was great to see them having so much fun catching fish I didn't care if I caught any. The fishes size ranged from 8 inches to 12 Inches and we were in 17 fow. Caught on assorted micro Jigs tiped with meal worms. We kept the 5 biggest. Most were rainbows and one 5 were browns. His son caught an ugly sucker for which the crows had a good time with. we left when the wind started to pick up around Noon so we left at 1:30. All in all a great day to be alive and sharing the experience of catching with some friends.....up next...lake John for the biggins!!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to answer some questions on the post: I kept two fish from bellaire that I deep hooked, and each fish was about 8 or 9 inches. I also kept the bigger bow from boyd to go along with the other two. They tasted good on the grill. Thanks everyone for all the responses, and I will definitely post more reports since you guys liked it. Hopefully someone can use the information to get out and catch themselves some fish. I have used these same methods at other lakes in the Red Feather area and usually caught good numbers of stockers, so pick any lake around there and you should have some luck.

·
0 Posts
Very nice report,thank you atownbasser love your pics. and the first two pics. look like Bellaire lake to me.hy, that guy with the boat; I thing he should be at the oscar's for'' What not do to when your wife is with you"awared normination.And welcome to the wep.
Again awesome report.Love it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hey atownbasser,

I nearly took my boat down to Chatfield earlier this week but instead ... I went down there to see if the docks were open first ... saw they weren't ... came up with a different plan.

Those pictures are great and really nice color on the Bellair rainbow.

Mac

1 - 20 of 23 Posts