Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Riverbend ponds in Ft.Collins tonight for an hour or so.  The crappie bite was definitely on!!!  Didnt catch a bass though... I purchased some senkos and hooks for texas rigging and will be rubbing that worm in every submerged tree i can find tommorrow!!  Planning on buying a rod and reel just for fishing senkos and such...any suggestions as to what kind of reel and rod?

I came across a turtle on my way to the car...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ya, careful of those turtles there. Those are the mean ones and I saw some huge ones while I was there. Good old snappers, definitely angry turtles :p

·
Registered
680 Posts
LOL! i thought that was a bass at first.
nice crappie

hold on! ur catchin crappies on a senko?
could u fill me in on some details about lure, and location.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the confusion....i was going off on a different tangent when I mentioned senkos......i want to use them to catch bass. I caught about 5 good size crappies and 2 little guys in about an hour. For me that was a very productive hour! Usually it is one fish an hour if im lucky.

The crappies were biting the smallest in-line spinner i have 1/16th
Silver willow leaf blade and black body....looks like a little minnow is guess...

Pondfisher

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Riverbend Ponds are in Ft. Collins. From Denver you will drive north on I-25 and exit onto prospect rd...the ponds are about a mile or two west from the interstate. They are visible from Prospect rd...on you right Riverbend Ponds.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Nice crappies! I've been by there a ton of times on my way to the rink, but I've never stopped. From what I've seen, there are two smaller ponds next to the road, then a larger one further north. Are there more?? and which ones do you usually fish? Hope you weren't wearing sandals around that snapper ;).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I fish the largest pond. There are five or six ponds total. The ones closest to the entrances get the most fisherman. The deeper into the ponds you get...the less pressure the fish recieve. I try to just walk around a bit and find where the fish are feeding...the crappies I caught were going to town on their prey by some submerged trees...typical structure.

Imagine walking in the dark and looking at a large rock further up the path and then seeing the damn thing move a bit. I really dont night fish much due to the fact that everything tends to freak me out when the sun goes down...watch too many horror films. The picture doesnt give this guy justice. This was a bigo snapper......not really the friendly turtle I had as a pet when i was a kid.....this things got long claws....mean looking mouth...ugly tail...and a bad attitude to boot. Now I can add one more animal to my "Animals I would rather not get attacked by in the dark" list.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
636 Posts
The big pond you say? I am going to Horsetooth tommorrow morning and was thinking of trying frank easement in the afternoon but now I might try the riverbend ponds. Never fished them yet but have fished prospect ponds plenty of times. Thanks for the info pondfisher

1 - 13 of 13 Posts