Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my son and daughter out to the local pond today around 11:00 AM... Beautiful warm day, but TONS of "W"... Some gusts up to 30-40 MPH.

We got set up and started fishing...

We saw carp jumping all over the lake... attacking some kind of fly on the water's surface. We were fishing with bread balls... One rod with a Carolina rig, one with bread under bobber, 3-4 inches off the bottom.

Several hits... more than I could count. The problem was the wind gusts were blowing our lines everywhere... Hard to tell a hit when it came, (as the carp are hitting so lightly right now) but the obvious ones were VERY obvious. I set the hook on one about 12:00 and got it halfway to shore before it jumped and threw the hook.

Shortly thereafter (Maybe 12:30), Buck's bobber was going the wrong way against the wind... He picked it up and started reeling, without setting the hook. Fish on!

Unfortunately, the fish popped off right at the shoreline, so we didn't get it on the bank.

About this time, the winds started REALLY picking up and the little girl was getting fussy and tired...

We packed it up and headed home... No fish banked, but a great little trip out and good time with the kiddos.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Wish i coulda made it owen, didnt get off till 2. Cant wait to get on some cats this summer

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
It was pretty windy..We rode our bikes from Chatty to Confluence park and back..Didn't see a single person fishing the South Platte. Wind started out blowing from the North..then the West and then the East. I hate wind.

Cute little girl there..I'll bet they had a great time getting out.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice job getting out there Owen - too bad about the lost fish, but still exciting for Buck I'm sure. He'll get em next time!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Yeppers Owen they grow up so fast!!! good work!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...

Gotta work with the little man on the hookset!!!! He will be deadly when he gets THAT on lock...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That rod holder is a blessing and a curse. Functionally, its GREAT. But hauling it around (being solid steel and very awkward) SUCKS!!!

I'm probably going to downsize to two smaller lighter ones, OR I am going to build the big-wheeled fishing cart zman and I talked about last year.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Better luck next time getting ole rubber lips landed. Tight lines.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Weather is supposed to REALLY be nice later in the week... We are gonna get us some open water fish this week... I can ALMOST guarantee it. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts