Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a lot of opportunity fishing. What I mean by that is short 10-30 minute fishing sessions before work, during lunch break ...etc. My wife thinks I am crazy, but it is what helps keep me sane.

There is a small creek that I frequent for this type of fishing... it is small enough that there are several places where I can and do jump across it. In summer I fly fish it with dry droppers, and catch a mess of 6-10 inch Browns and Rainbows with the occasional larger fish mixed in. However, I have no patience for winter fly fishing. In winter I bust out the small jerkbaits and stickbaits. My favorite is probably the 2 3/4" 3/16 ounce Yo Zuri pins minnow. I pinch my barbs down for easy release as well.

I was fishing with my pins minnow in the creek and saw a much larger flash come after it than I was expecting. After two or three casts and follows but no takes I decided to switch stickbaits to the much larger 4 3/8" Crystal Minnow that I use in places like the North Platte. On the second cast this large Brown nailed it! Measured just shy of 19 inches! I have caught bigger trout, but this guy was my favorite of the year because of where and how I got him. He swam away healthy and strong!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I am more of a binge angler. If you are gonna do it, it might as well be a debauchery! :D But whatever works! :thumb:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am more of a binge angler. If you are gonna do it, it might as well be a debauchery!
But whatever works!
I like binge angling also! With an 8 month old, a 3 year old, and a 5 year old I don’t get much full day trips in, so I squeeze it in however I can.

Great story and way to think and adapt. Good looking fish.
Thanks! It is cool when something you think might work pays off like that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good Stuff! Nothing wrong with that type of fishing...Gotta fish when you can!! Jerk Fishing is my go-to for winter fishing, always puts up some decent numbers; some days better then others of course...That or just a slow retrieve up the current! Nice post and great fish!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Amazing fish and an even better story!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts