Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my first 11 Mile Pike I hooked on Saturday.  It hit a 3" sinking smoke stick bait in the weeds up by the inlet.

It wasn't very big, but it fought like a champ.

The horns are a tribute to Slayerfish for talking about smoke colored baits.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Nice fish bro!!! Ive still yet to catch a pike. Man I need to get somewhere to catch one!!

-Jay

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to see someone pulled a pike out 11 mile Saturday....just wished it was me or my wife.

We fished spinney in the morning and hit 11-mile around 1:00. Not very many boats out with the wind rippin. What time were you fishing the inlet? We only saw one other boat just west of stoll mountain around 2:30. We tried pike fishing for about 4 hours...inlet, rodgers mountain, howbert point, and witchers cove with no luck. We tried Slayers trick as well...The only smoke color baits we saw at sportsman had black or gold glitter in them and made them appear almost black or gold rather than smoke colored. Did your smoke colored sticks have any glitter?

We have caught most of our pike at 11-mile on the east side of Howbert point using mepps bucktail spinners and red and white daredevils. We have also seen some huge pike in East Bay but have only managed one 26" pike there on a spinner bunny we bought from the general store...first cast.

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Jeez,I'm giving away all my secrets!Like Spock said;"One must sacrifice his individual needs for the good of the many" or somthin like that.Nice pikey!MORE will follow,those pike can be pretty cagey.Good job-

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yellow Jackets said:
Glad to see someone pulled a pike out 11 mile Saturday....just wished it was me or my wife.

We fished spinney in the morning and hit 11-mile around 1:00. Not very many boats out with the wind rippin. What time were you fishing the inlet?  We only saw one other boat  just west of stoll mountain around 2:30. We tried pike fishing for about 4 hours...inlet, rodgers mountain, howbert point, and witchers cove with no luck. We tried Slayers trick as well...The only smoke color baits we saw at sportsman had black or gold glitter in them and made them appear almost black or gold rather than smoke colored. Did your smoke colored sticks have any glitter?

We have caught most of our pike at 11-mile on the east side of Howbert point using mepps bucktail spinners and red and white daredevils. We have also seen some huge pike in East Bay but have only managed one 26" pike there on a spinner bunny we bought from the general store...first cast.
I was at the lake from 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. I would start at the inlet and then let the wind drift me all the way down the shore. I did that a few times. Then I ended the day at Elephant Island?

The smoke stick bait is the Cabelas Realimage sinking one. It has sparkles and a white belly.

Were you the guys in the aluminum boat with three people in it and yellow rain gear?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Nice Pike buddy. I was out Sunday and didn't get any pike but I did find where some of them are. The first bay east of North shore. I saw some pike that were pretty good size. if I had to quess I would say 5 or 6 of them with the biggest being maybe 10 lbs. they look bigger in the water then they actually are. We through everything at them and they didn't want anything. I even stoped my jerkbait right in front of one of the pike's face and let it sit there for a good minute. Oh well there is always next time.

That one is just the begining Eric now you will be hooked. Wait till you hook a 40 incher.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
waterwolves said:
Nice Pike buddy. I was out Sunday and didn't get any pike but I did find where some of them are. The first bay east of North shore. I saw some pike that were pretty good size. if I had to quess I would say 5 or 6 of them with the biggest being maybe 10 lbs. they look bigger in the water then they actually are. We through everything at them and they didn't want anything. I even stoped my jerkbait right in front of one of the pike's face and let it sit there for a good minute. Oh well there is always next time.

That one is just the begining Eric now you will be hooked. Wait till you hook a 40 incher.
I got hooked after this one.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric, that was us in the "Yellow Jackets". ;D Everytime we have been up there this year the wind has blowen the whole time...but that seems to be the time when we have caught the most pike. That little 17' alum. bass boat we have does not have windshields so we get soaked driving around when the waves get going. You could probably hear my wife scream every time a wave came over the bow.

We get skunked or only have one fish (trout) days most of our trips up to the mile but it is those big pike that keeps us coming back. We also like the big kokes but they have not been biting for us this year yet...although we saw quite a few schools over the channel next to rocky flats and north shore on Sat.

Anybody out there ever fish spinny for pike? We tried on Sat. morning but did not have any luck....just trout. Caught trout on standard stuff..olive wooly and 1/4 oz silver/ rainbow bouyant lures. Was not fun trying to load up the boat in the wind without a dock.

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Ive found that if you can see the pike,they can see you, and that aint usually good for catchin.I think thats why the wind helps.Also the subtle approach such as small plastics on light line helps cause they get tired of being beat over the head with large spoons and rapalas,etc.They dont get big by bein stupid.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Eric,
Does it ever end. Let's see..

Giant Walleyes from Big Mac
Giant Trout from Flaming Gorge
Big Pike from 11 Mile
What's next on your  agenda? Wiper, Crappie?
Frankly, you make me sick with all of those big fish. LOL

Nice go'in

Art

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Hey,

I just noticed, if you download the picture and then strip off any added edits from the image, here is what you get:

Lots of snow up on that mountain for this late in the season. So when was this shot actually taken -- last year or the year before?!!?!

These posts are looking and sounding a lot like those from an earlier poster who shall not be named...

;)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EricCO said:
waterwolves said:

I got hooked after this one.

This was a Williams Fork pike. not 11 mile

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ArtCo said:
Eric,
Does it ever end. Let's see..

Giant Walleyes from Big Mac
Giant Trout from Flaming Gorge
Big Pike from 11 Mile
What's next on your  agenda? Wiper, Crappie?
Frankly, you make me sick with all of those big fish. LOL

Nice go'in

Art
Hey Art! How you been?

I'm going to Navajo for a week next week. Might get a big crappie there! LOL

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Neal/CO said:
Just occured to me that I never saw Work2Fish or Eyeguy post at the same time? ;D
Neal,

LOL. But you know what I look like -- where on earth would I get such a geeky photo of someone with fish as EG did!?!?

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Sometimes on either the north shore or coyote ridge where all the big boulders and dropoffs are you can find them lurking.Thats prolly your only shot.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Over the years I have caught dozens of Pike in the bays (East Bay, etc) on the northeast side of the lake. They are really shallow this time of year usually. All from shore or wading.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts