Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so happy today I purchased a beautiful used boat. It's a 16' Blue Fin Superhawk with a mercury 50 hp oil injected motor. This boat was turn key and meticulously cared for. Bud (I think his handle is Rifleman on here) helped me all day and I could not be more appreciative.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Congrats on your first boat. Lots of fun ahead!

If you are not used to backing up a trailer, I would suggest that you go to a school, church, etc parking lot during off hours and practice before heading to a boat ramp. Also, when at a lake, be sure to prep the boat by organizing all boat gear (docking lines, etc), fishing gear, coolers and putting in the plug (you will eventually forget to do this one day! Almost everyone does.) plus removing the tie down straps- all while away from the ramp and BEFORE you start backing to launch. This allows for an efficient flow of traffic and is the only way to be considerate of those launching and removing their boats from the water. Blocking the ramp is considered a rookie mistake and/or bad form at best and can lead to intense discussions with those who are being impeded by such unnecessary thoughtlessness. Same deal when putting your boat on the trailer at the end of the day- pull the boat out and, only after vacating the launch area, clean, drain and dry and put everything away. Had a clown block a ramp at Chatty yesterday but didn't care to engage so he got away with it. No sense in starting off your boating career in a way that will leave a bad taste.

Be safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys very much. I love ice fishing and always called it "the great equalizer" because as long as I was willing to walk I could fish anywhere else another guy could. I could see the comment about winter becoming longer being very true.

Solid advice Rattman. I did back the trailer and launch yesterday at Cherry Creek (BTW the West Ramp is open now which just happened the last few days). The backing in is going to take some practice which I will certainly heed the suggestion about a big lot. Regarding all the other procedural stuff, Bud gave me a great rundown on not being "that guy". I am sure I will make mistakes but nothing like waiting till I'm at the doc to load coolers and stuff. I may have made the mistake about pulling up on the way out to drain etc but I have to say finding a buddy that's good at this has been such a benefit! I have tons to learn and will be doing my best for sure.

This is such a wonderful thing and I have to say one of the things I look forward to most is helping shorebound fishermen get out on the water. On that note I've had a full size SUV for a couple years not and have to say I've really enjoyed the ability to help others more vs. having a car (like towing stranded people to a safe location and helping more people getting unstuck from the snow etc).

Anyways, thanks again guys :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Congrats! When backing down in the twilight hours, be sure to put your park lights on, so others can see where they are backing into. Soo many people dont and it sure does suck looking into headlights when its dark out.

Hopefully you have also been instructed to us your sideview mirrors when backing down? Looking over your shoulder is a bad idea

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Always remember to put the plug in. I still forget to do mine. It sucks to forget.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
If you are like certain people, winter will get longer, you will hate fishing from shore again... For me, the boat was just another tool. Sometimes it's needed. At other times, it was more of a hindrance than anything else. My first boat 13 years ago was also a Spectrum. About the plug: if you forget it and you are far from the dock: turn the engine on and put the boat on a plane. The water will move to the back of the boat and drain out or at least not continue to flood the boat, giving you time to get back to the dock.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
About the plug: if you forget it and you are far from the dock: turn the engine on and put the boat on a plane. The water will move to the back of the boat and drain out or at least not continue to flood the boat, giving you time to get back to the dock.
This is what I do on purpose to wash the slime out of the boat.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
In addition to all the great reminders here. Even with sealed tail light lenses, Don't forget to unplug your trailer lights before launching. And if your trailer doesn't have bearing buddies, might want to get some.
And if i remeber right, those Blue Fins have a metal gas tank, if you leave it half full, or a quarter full you might get condensation. So after each outing top your tank off to full, and and ounce of Seafoam or any another good fuel stabilizer everytime you fill up really helps.

Nothing like being the captian of your own boat

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
biggie smalls - thank you for the tip on the parking lights.

fordo - thank you for the tail light tip, I would have never thought of that until Bud had told me and it makes perfect sense - hot lights in cold water then ping goes the element. Thanks also for the gas tip.

lots of boat plug tips; much appreciated especially the one from aofisher. Everyone says they've forgotten so I am sure it will happen eventually.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to add it has freshly greased bearing buddies on it plus one extra.

Additionally the original owner changed the lube the day before I bought it as well. This person was highly attached to this boat and I think he understood I will do my best to take good care of it.

I registered the trailer today and the boat today as well though it had the 2016 tags on the boat I still wanted to get it under my name ASAP so I can also insure it too.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If the trailer doesn't already have them, consider swapping out to led lights. Much brighter, less troublesome, and they don't get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts