Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was doing a little bit of pre-fishing derby tournament thingy I got invited to with my friend Paul that is taking place at Sterls next Saturday. Well I have no hope of winning but I finally caught fish at this challenging lake. I know some of you think it is easy and there’s plenty of things out there to find where to go but I like figuring things out on my own. Got into 4 species My first ever drum and a nice 21 inch walleye!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
We used to catch a lot of them in lake Erie, they are known as Sheepshead there and are considered a trash fish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've read from knowledgeable guy on the ice forums that drum are very good but you have to bleed them and put them in an ice slurry right away.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Kastmisser, I'm from Ohio also and you are spot on Sheephead were trash fish. They died by the thousands in the spring and washed up on shore around around Port Clinton and Sandusky Bay. We tried to eat some on a couple of occasions but they had a strong fishy oily taste, uck.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kastmisser, I'm from Ohio also and you are spot on Sheephead were trash fish. They died by the thousands in the spring and washed up on shore around around Port Clinton and Sandusky Bay. We tried to eat some on a couple of occasions but they had a strong fishy oily taste, uck.
I've been catching them on accident while targeting crappie. I must say i really enjoy the accident of catching them, when you don't expect catching one they just fight like hell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts