Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and a copy of precision trolling. Seems like a good way to fish. I like the way that the pictures in the book of the lures are actual size. It was helpful to match up some of my lures to the pictures as they are all not marked at to what they are. Any way going to Chatfield tommorow and Friday so I am going to try the precision trolling method for walleye. Anyway hated to have to buy new gear (he-he, really honey I need it). Any suggestions?

·
Registered
514 Posts
what are you trolling for? i got one line counting reel this spring and loved it so much i had to get another one for the other side of the boat. now i am thinking about getting two more for the back. :)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Troll in front of the dam or on the sand bars in 10'-15' of water, but get your lures to just "tick" the bottom. Lately I have had the best luck with Black/silver or Blue/silver. The important part has been getting the running depth correct. Also troll in a s pattern not straight, this way you speed up/slow down your lures changing the presentation. I got 8 walleye, the biggest 20", and about 20 bass last week doing this.

K

·
0 Posts
let me know how that line counter works out. I've been doing the standard 10 yards out = 5 feet down. There is another formula for the weight, i.e. 1/3oz every 4 feet on your line above your leader for every 5 feet or something as well, but i just use a 1 or 1-1/4oz bottom bouncer regardless of depth.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i have 6 line counters 2 rigged with braid 2 with 17lb trilene and 2 with 8 lb trilene that way i am covered for all situations. i can use them long lining or with a clip on weight or downrigging i can always git back to how i caught a fish

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only got to actually fish for about three hours on the camping trip but did catch one 18.5 inch walleye. That was the only fish caught. Went out Thursday night at 9:30 after the rain went by. Had a bottom bouncer with a leech out one side of the boat, and a Smithwich Super rogue out the other on the line counter. Tried along the dam by the tower in 10-12 feet of water. Got snagged with both poles. Wasn't marking many fish on the finder, so I went out to 30- 35 ft and started marking lots of fish suspended between 10 and 15 ft. The Precision trolling book had the dive curve for My smithwick lure at 80 ft of line out to rech a depth of 13 ft. 35 minutes later I got the walleye. Very excitng. I would definitely recommend the book for peaple with a line counter. Gander has the latest version (8). I would have used a S pattern to troll in hindsight. Thanks for all the tips guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts