Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;) Hello all,

I am new to this site and was referred here by my classmate. I believe his user name is hummus cannonball or something to that extent. :D

I haven't gone fishing since I was 15 since I didn't need a license and my parents didn't want to buy a license for me since then. The farthest back I can remember fishing is in 1st grade when the class went to Golden Ponds in Longmont. We tied a piece of fishing line to a stick that we had to find ourselves. We use salmon eggs and marshmallows. Then several years later I remember I caught a giant grasshopper and used it as bait and I caught a whitish silvery bass with black lines on its body. I remember it being pretty big, and we took it home and it was bigger than a platter dish, so probably bigger than 12". And caught other types of fishes like a small round white fish with speckled body and sharp spiny dorsal fin, trout, SM and BM bass, over the years until I turned 15. So I guess I'm not NEW to fishing, but my dad was the one who picked out the fishing pole. Well now, I think I want to start fishing again and wanna start fresh.

So recently I just bought myself a 7'0" Pflueger Echelon combo for $30, I'm a cheap person (mainly cuz I don't have any source of income in the first place), so I went with this combo to replace my old Shakespeare SPT 46 that I probably had for at least 10 years. I hear some people pay hundreds of $$$ for just the rod itself!! Wow! I also bought some Berkley Fireline Fused Crystal 10lb line for $9... I've always used Mono so its my first time trying some new line.

I can only fish from land and on the platforms.

Well, I have a few questions that I hope you guys don't mind answering!

1. What color lures should I get? Should I stick mainly to natural colored ones, or should I get a few crazy colored ones?

2. How should I spool my reel with the Fireline Fused Crystal? I read somewhere that it was slippery stuff and that I should tie a piece of mono to the reel, then tie the Fireline to the mono?

3. I just bought a 2011 license, can I start fishing now, or do I actually have to wait until April 1? Cuz I'm on Spring Break right now and it would be nice to try fishing while I'm doing nothing. Hah.

Thanks! ???

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Bienvenidos Sashimi! Great handle!

O.k. folks...............please do not let the fact that I told her about the forum keep you from helping her out! She seems like a very nice lady. ;D

W

·
0 Posts
You'll get a lot of different info, but here's mine:

1. Get brass and silver kastmasters, gold Thomas Bouyant minnow, red/white daredevil. As far as Rapalas etc... I like rainbow and perch patterns. Get some 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz jigs and white and chartreuse tails, maybe some brown or olive tubes to mimic crawdads.

2. I have found it slippery too. Just get the knot tight on the arbor and start slowly, once you get it going you'll be fine. BTW I think arbor knots are worthless.

3. I'd fish now if they sold it to you. Might check the fine print on the license or go to the DOW website.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
O.K.....

1) Little bit of mono backing under the Fireline.

2) Natural colors for clearer water/pressured fish. Crazy/brighter colors for murkier water. Dark colors for less light and night time/lighter colors for brighter light. (BROAD generalization)

3) Go fishing!!!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
welcome to the forum

1 blue back, silver sides , orange belly. or firetiger will git you started

2 with fireline you can put 2-4 turns of black electrical tape under the fireline

3 the licence isn't good till the first of april

W

·
0 Posts
3 the licence isn't good till the first of apr

Interesting, I've honestly never even considered this issue.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
That bass sounded delicious. The bigger they get the better they taste I hear.

I wouldn't have admitted that you know Hummus, but that cat is out of the bag.

Sashimi said:
I hear some people pay hundreds of $$$ for just the rod itself!! Wow!
*spits tobacco

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool!! I'll look into the colors, so many colors to choose from. So far I got me a Rapala X-Rap Shad 8 in Yellow Perch color. Boy, those Rapalas are really pretty and kinda cute, but they are sooo expensive!!! Gosh I sure hope I don't lose this one on the first day I use it, it cost me $5. I really want a Rainbow Trout one since it is multicolor and cute... guess I'll give in a get one while they are on sale so that way I don't pay like the full $9 for it.

I'll look for some of the colors with Matzuo too since they are a cheaper... I don't know if I'm buying them for myself or for the fish, since they look so nice.

Dang, I guess I have to wait til April Fools then... so sad.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Your pal, hummus, is actually pretty knowledgable. He won't steer you wrong if you listen to what he says to you. ;)

Now...he would steer the rest of us wrong if he thought he could get away with it, but not one of his real world friends. >:D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Sashimi--I have some low end flyfishing stuff (rods and a reel) that I started out with that I'd be willing to give to you. The reel has floating line with an extra spool of sinking line. You could play around with it some and see if you want to try flyfishing. I can transfer the stuff to hummus cannonball if you're interested. Let me or hc know. Might be just enough for you to get the flyfishing bug.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Now...he would steer the rest of us wrong if he thought he could get away with it, but not one of his real world friends. >:D
You mean some of you really have friends in real life????? Hummin cannonballs say it ain't so!!!!!

Kasmasters in silver or gold are always good just about anywhere you go.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sswan said:
Sashimi--I have some low end flyfishing stuff (rods and a reel) that I started out with that I'd be willing to give to you. The reel has floating line with an extra spool of sinking line. You could play around with it some and see if you want to try flyfishing. I can transfer the stuff to hummus cannonball if you're interested. Let me or hc know. Might be just enough for you to get the flyfishing bug.
Cool, thanks for the offer!! How hard is it to learn to fly fish? I can do it from shore, right? I've only seen a few pics/vids of people fly fishing from land. I don't have waders and they might be hard to get due to personal circumstances. It does seem pretty fun from the pics/vids/books I've read. Hehe.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I'll bring some stuff up for you next time I'm up north and I'll call hc to meet me and pick it up. Flyfishing still water and catching big fish was the contagion for me.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I fish with cheap stuff all the time. I've never spent more than $50.00 on a spinning rod and reel combo...(It's a wonder I catch fish at all).. :D
I use 6 lb Trilene xl almost exlcusively..

Just getting started...Kastmasters as mentioned...you can get the knockoffs cheaper...but, the hooks will break from time to time on a larger fish. Tube jigs....cheap and you can catch anything..brown, green,... some watermelon fleck..(because they're pretty) ;)

Start out easy by going to a few lakes that are stocked heavily with trout..You'll catch some fish and have some fun as you refine your skills.

W

·
0 Posts
hobiecat said:
I fish with cheap stuff all the time. I've never spent more than $50.00 on a spinning rod and reel combo...(It's a wonder I catch fish at all).. :D
I use 6 lb Trilene xl almost exlcusively..

Just getting started...Kastmasters as mentioned...you can get the knockoffs cheaper...but, the hooks will break from time to time on a larger fish. Tube jigs....cheap and you can catch anything..brown, green,... some watermelon fleck..(because they're pretty) ;)

Start out easy by going to a few lakes that are stocked heavily with trout..You'll catch some fish and have some fun as you refine your skills.
Glad to see I'm not the only one sinking my life's savings into a simple rod and reel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts