Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To The Honorable Commission:

I have been really concerned about the direction fishing and fisheries management has
been going in Colorado for a long time. Most of the time it really irks me and most other anglers
too. The fact that pike are being attempted to be wiped out. Ditto for Lake Trout in some
fisheries.
But one particular proposal has really got anglers up in angry arms now. And that is the
proposed regulation that would outlaw any scented soft plastic lure in flies and lures only water.
You have already outlawed any soft plastic less than one and a half inches in artificial only
waters. Now you want to make virtually all soft plastics illegal. All of them have at least some
scent or salt. This is a pretty flagrant violation of what is right and it honestly reeks of fly
fishermen and Trout Unlimited bias.
Under this new rule, we wouldn?t be able to use tube jigs at Spinney for trout. Forget
using senkos or flukes for bass in artificials only lakes. No curly tail grubs on some trout streams.
No jigs for walleyes in others. Pretty much no plastics in these waters at all.
It seems that the way the tides are turning these days seem to be getting more toward flies
only or barbless lures only in this state. With all due respect, the fact that bait fishing has a higher
mortality in some situations is greatly overblown. There are many ways to properly fish bait so the
mortality rate is reduced to pretty much the same as flies or lures.
The best way is to fish actively and to drift bait in a river. Those who don?t use this
method honestly do not catch many fish to deep hook anyway. For myself and many others, less
than one in ten fish is deep hooked this way.
From what I have heard, the concern is that people are still fishing these plastics and deep
hooking some trout. In all my years of fishing, I have NEVER seen this happen or anyone fishing
this way.
All you are doing is to go on hearsay. I have not heard of one shred of biological evidence
whatsoever to support higher mortality rates for scented plastics versus other lures. The district
manager for the Grand Junction area even told me it has no effect on hooking mortality.
I am sick and tired of having things taken from me and other anglers by the CDOW. I am
tired of the continual bias and barrage or restrictive and downright ridiculous regulations that are
coming down regarding our fishing rights. I am a catch and release fisherman and I know that
scented plastics and even bait are compatible with catch and release when used properly. Don?t
ban these plastics just because of a few bad apples.
If you pass this, you will be in effect banning most all plastics in flies and lures only water.
They are often the most effective technique for any fish. This will greatly reduce our fun on the
water and may keep us from coming back until the regulation is repealed, if it passes.
It would be impossible to enforce this. What is a game warden going to do, taste the
plastic that is on the end of my line? Give me a ticket for catching and safely releasing many fish
on plastics?
With all due respect, I do not like the direction that you are taking in this state. If you pass
this, a lot of people are going to be very angry and we may even seek legal action. You are not
doing what is right. This is again, a very flagrant new regulation. It is time for the government to
get off our backs and stop interfering with everything in our lives.
I know you guys do a lot of good work and most of you wish to protect the future of
fishing in our state. But this is not good policy and is downright unfair, and unethical. Please, vote
no on this new regulation.

Tyler Peck,

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
See I told you guys I can be tactful when I want to, ;) :D ;D

M

·
0 Posts
to the point, sounds good, polite, hopefully this letter wont see the shredder

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Tact....Yes, i was surprised  lol

This seems to me like another one of those laws that is almost impossible to enforce.  i rarely see game wardens as it is, and with all of the different (hundreds, possibly thousands) soft plastic baits and manufacturers out there is will be very hard to tell if someone is fishing a scented or flavored one or not.

so...great, another law that cant be enforced.  i dont agree with it as it is, and creating laws such as this are a waste of time in my opinion.  in fact, im not sure ive yet to talk to a fisherman whom agrees with this law.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice letter ice

you must remember that they have to regulate for the masses and just because bait fishing can be done with a reduced mortality by useing certain techniques that doesnt mean that the majority will use them

i agree that the scented soft plastic rule will be hard to enforce but i dont think that it will seriously affect the way we fish as more manufacturers might start putting more uncented plastics out there for us to use and for most if not all the plastic baits you listed there are already similar uncented plastics out there

also could you point me to were some thing says sportfishing is a "right" i can recal the "right" to free speach and the "right" to bear arms but i dont recal (and please correct my if im wrong) the "right" to go fishing?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ArtCo said:
Good letter.  are you the person that has a degree in Biology?
I don't have a degree but I do have college credits in biology, aquatic biology and ecosystems, and ichtyology.

·
Registered
324 Posts
once again it is my right to fish when licensing started it only worked b/c us(fisherman) agreed due to the fact that the money was going towards or back to the enviroment to help with the fishing. it is a way of life and nobody will take that away from me now that it generates all this revenue the state I.E. Colorado Dept. Of Wildlife not the dept of wildlife for tourest. all i am saying is that this state is putting us(locals)on the backburner when we are in fact residents and should be priority one not 2nd because so ya hoo from cali. who cant even bait his own hook decides he wants to catch my fish

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
meandmydog said:
once again it is my right to fish when licensing started it only worked b/c us(fisherman) agreed due to the fact that the money was going towards or back to the enviroment  to help with the fishing. it is a way of life and nobody will take that away from me now that it generates all this revenue the state I.E. Colorado Dept. Of Wildlife not the dept of wildlife for tourest. all i am saying is that this state is putting us(locals)on the backburner when we are in fact residents and should be priority one not 2nd because so ya hoo from cali. who cant even bait his own hook decides he wants to catch my fish
again show me where fishing is a "right" just because it was done in the past dont make it a right, nobody needed a license to drive cars when the first ones came to be and it have been shown many times over that driving is not a right. now some native americans have shown that they have a right to fish for sustenance but that is not sport fishing and i dont recall any non natives successfuly claiming the right to sustenance fish or hunt!

·
Registered
324 Posts
i believe that it was a given when the bill of rights was written who would of thought that one would need permission to fish public lands. that is my belife and you cant compare this to a driving lic. where their are deadly consequenses and i would agree that is not a right also my point is(waS) is the fact that it is called colorado D.O.W which to me means colorado first but i feel as though we are not tourest are great for everybody but they are not when an agency is suppose to put the residents first

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
meandmydog said:
i believe that it was a given when the bill of rights was written who would of thought that one would need permission to fish public lands. that is my belife and you cant compare this to a driving lic. where their are deadly consequenses and i would agree that is not a right also my point is(waS) is the fact that it is called colorado D.O.W which to me means colorado first but i feel as though we are not tourest are great for everybody but they are not when an agency is suppose to put the residents first
trying to claim something was a given just doesnt cut it many of the rights that are spelled out were givens back then and as you point out DOW stand for division of WILDLIFE not division of fishing so i would have to say that means wildlife first!

·
Registered
324 Posts
ok i see your point but answer this if we (fisherman) didn't buy lic. and parks passes then there would be no D.O.W. it is us that sustain the whole system and it is based in the idea that our money goes to improve and maintain all areas of interest not special interest. also it does mean wildlife but with-out our money they can not operate and they would be called PETA

F

·
0 Posts
nice letter ice .....hope you get some feedback....I wonder if any soft plastic manufactures (cant spell) are ready to just give up colorados business....im sure they would have a thing or two to say in the matter also ....call up the dudes at berkley ask for mr gulp ....jk ..ive been up since 3 fishing im out of it

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
meandmydog said:
ok i see your point but answer this if we (fisherman) didn't buy lic. and parks passes then there would be no D.O.W. it is us that sustain the whole system and it is based in the idea that our money goes to improve and maintain all areas of interest not special interest. also it does mean wildlife but with-out our money they can not operate and they would be called PETA
yes it is a very complex system and trying to please everyone is impossible and even though some of the issues are heavily debated here assuming every signed up member (500+) had the same views we are just a drop in the bucket when you look at the whole state

·
Registered
324 Posts
too shae road kill. i guess i am just fired up with all thats going on it has made really look at goverment and who they actually work for aND IN MY OPINOIN I dont think it is us it just seems that agencies from top to bottom dont protect there own

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
besides with the cost of fuel and the current outlook due to the hurricane scented plastics and other restriction may be the least of our worries

1 - 16 of 16 Posts