Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my most productive pattern last year for multi species. Largemouth, White Bass, Perch, Crappie, Brown and Rainbow trout, and even a few large bluegill took this fly.

The material is somewhat hard to find but Elkhorn Fly shop in Loveland has it! It is tied similar to a clouser minnow. I like size 6 and 8 on 3x long streamer hooks for most the fishing I do.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks fishy to me and probably fairly easy to tie.
It is an easy tie, which is good for me at my skill level. Only thing is the material is slippery AF and I want to upgrade to a rotary vice soon. Would be easier on a rotary vice. Man am I getting antsy for some spring fly fishing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is an easy tie, which is good for me at my skill level. Only thing is the material is slippery AF and I want to upgrade to a rotary vice soon. Would be easier on a rotary vice. Man am I getting antsy for some spring fly fishing.
I used to fish kreelex on the east coast for the brief period of time I was out there. You could catch anything on a kreelex. American Shad, Hickory Shard, striper, crappie, white bass, largemouth. I started out with a bunch of flies and wound up just using kreelex. Excellent fly! I never caught a trout on one. Do you use this in streams?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to fish kreelex on the east coast for the brief period of time I was out there. You could catch anything on a kreelex. American Shad, Hickory Shard, striper, crappie, white bass, largemouth. I started out with a bunch of flies and wound up just using kreelex. Excellent fly! I never caught a trout on one. Do you use this in streams?
Very cool! Yes I use it in streams and stillwater. Mostly stillwater though. Have caught both Browns and Rainbows on it. Gonna try for some brookies with it in the high country this year though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very cool! Yes I use it in streams and stillwater. Mostly stillwater though. Have caught both Browns and Rainbows on it. Gonna try for some brookies with it in the high country this year though.
I love fly fishing still water from my canoe. Streamers are where it is at. I am actually planning a trip to the flat top wilderness this summer to do some backpacking and fly fishing at Trappers lake and any other water I run into. I might have to tie some kreelex for that trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts