Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try a Phenix blank since that was the lightest blanks I could find. Went with a Phenix Ultra MBX 700MH which is rated for 8-17lb line and 3/8-1oz lures
Koldkut started building rods a little over a year ago. Blank weight is supposed to be 2.01 but he doesn't have a scale at his house to verify.
Components:
Fuji ECS cut down reel seat
EVA Foam
Fuji Titanium SIC micro guides (3.5) spiral wrapped
Black metallic thread with silver/gray accents on rod and all guides with a blue pearl used in the epoxy
Rod was first weighted on a super accurate paint scale. Numbers were 2.84 ounces and 80.6 grams. I also took some pictures on my cheap kitchen scale.

The back of the seat didn't come out as good as he hoped. He spent a lot of time on it and next time he will just cut it vs rounding it.

Weight with a Core 50 with flouro on it. Reel alone with line weighted 6.0

For all you balance guys

Have a couple days on the water with it but the jig bite hasn't been great at the lake. Have caught about half dozen fish on it and I am loving it. Could be my new favorite jigging rod. It is crisp and super sensitive. Maybe my most sensitive stick. :eek:

Anybody ever hear of a lighter 7' MH rod? Lightest I have found.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: My new custom with pics Phenix 700MH

i wonder how much the cumulus would weigh with micro guides? it's 3.5 oz with regular guides.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts

marledge said:
i wonder how much the cumulus would weigh with micro guides? it's 3.5 oz with regular guides.
we weighed a regular set of stainless steel chrome framed zirconia guides that came off a kistler and the whole guide set, as heavy and big as they were, only weighed 0.1 oz. I've heard numbers that say you only gain a quarter of an ounce, but it feels like more because that weight is no longer extended away from your hand.

If you have a cumulus and want to see, I can put micros on it.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Koldkut said:
marledge said:
we weighed a regular set of stainless steel chrome framed zirconia guides that came off a kistler and the whole guide set, as heavy and big as they were, only weighed 0.1 oz. I've heard numbers that say you only gain a quarter of an ounce, but it feels like more because that weight is no longer extended away from your hand.

If you have a cumulus and want to see, I can put micros on it.
Yep what Andrew said. I think they were 4 grams.
Cumulus really doesn't have regular guides. They have Fuji titanium frames and SIC rings which weigh A LOT less then the guides we weighted above.
I also don't have $350 in this rod and it was built the way I wanted it.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets also compare it to St. Croix top of the line model the Legend Xtreme :D
XC70MF 7' M Fast 1 10 - 17 1/4 - 5/8 3.7 3 $ 370
XC70MHF 7' MH Fast 1 12 - 20 3/8 - 1 4.2 4 $ 380

This blank is somewhere in between the M and MH of Croix as their rods are a little stiff.
That is a lot lighter and I have no where near that much in it.

Maybe a few people will give a custom a try.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
look, i'm not saying custom is a bad idea in any way, but if i broke that legend xtreme in normal fishing activities (aka not in a car window), it costs me $30 to replace. that is it. lifetime warranty and great customer service at st. croix.

and koldkut, i don't own a cumulus, and probably won't. i was just curious because that happens to be one of the lightest factory rods out there and besides i am very happy with my st. croix's. i however do wish that they would do the reel seat similar to the one you have or a shimano type on some of their rods (aka the M or MH actions). i can feel plenty with the current reel seat they have, but it's just a wish.

i think the real advantage of the big names is that people feel they can yell at them if they have an issue. lol. however, picking components is nice and if placement of guides, hook hangers, etc. is important to you, then look into custom for sure.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Marledge, Phenix has an unconditional warranty, $25 and they send you another blank, then the cost is minimized into a new build labor and handle, the guides can be re-used.

**edit**

There's one thing that Boondock and myself do not agree on and that's the absolutely ridiculous warranties that rod companies give out, folks don't want to take blame for breaking a fishing rod, and rod companies have answered, in a bad way. Thinking that when you spend 3 bills on a rod, that they should just cover you for any breakage, is like saying that when you spend 30k on a car and you crash it they should just replace it for a $50 deductible.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Koldkut said:
Thinking that when you spend 3 bills on a rod, that they should just cover you for any breakage
they also do this with their 180 dollar avid series.

p.s. sorry about derailing the thread somewhat. it looks like a nice rod. it would be fun to do custom at some point (with a croix blank ;) ), but i am not doing much of anything right now except holding on to my "old" rods.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
marledge said:
Koldkut said:
Thinking that when you spend 3 bills on a rod, that they should just cover you for any breakage
they also do this with their 180 dollar avid series.

p.s. sorry about derailing the thread somewhat. it looks like a nice rod. it would be fun to do custom at some point (with a croix blank ;) ), but i am not doing much of anything right now except holding on to my "old" rods.
Croix most definitely has the best customer service of any rod company now. Keeping a lot of faithful folks that way and some are switching from loomis to them since loomis changed their expediter program.
I haven't been overly impressed with croix rods but I have never tried the Xtreme or legend elite series as I don't play well with the ACS seat.
I do however have a St. Croix avid pearl blank coming for my lady as a Christmas present. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts