Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what our fisheries would be if I was in charge:

All water supply reservoirs would be open year round to everyone, for ice fishing, non motorized boating, and other fishing. Some may have flies or lures only restrictions or circle hook only baitfishing.

No large rivers would be flies or lures only. Most sections of the fork and gunnison would be open to bait. We deserve bait fishing these rivers too, or least good parts of them. Because bait fishing isn't as harmful as TU and CDOW make it out to be. You only catch many trout baitfishing in rivers while fishing actively. With that, most all are hooked in lip. areas of small rivers and very small heavily fished lakes would still be flies and lures only.

Granby Reservoir - Bag limit for mackinaw 8 trout, all between 22 - 36" must be released. Only one in any bag limit onver 36" allowed.

Blue Mesa Reservoir - Bag limit for lake trout is 4 fish. All lakers over 26" must be released. At least for now.

Antero Reservor - Bag limit for trout 2 fish, only one over 16". bait always allowed

Elevenmile Reservoir - Trout regs stay as is. Bag limit for pike is 4 fish, only one over 30" allowed.

Spinney Mountain - Regs stay as is for now for trout, may allow circle hook baitfishing someday. Bag limit for pike 10, only one over 30" allowed.

Turquiose Lake - Bag limit for mackinaw 8 fish, all between 22 - 36" released. only one over 36" allowed.

Ruedi Reservoir - Same as turquiose

Twin Lakes - Bag limit 4 mackinaw, then same slot limit as others.

Harvey Gap Reservoir - Bag limit for largemouth and smallmouth is 2 fish, all between 12 - 18" must be released. All pike must be returned to the water immediately.

Gunnison River - bait allowed in all sections. bag limit 2 browns, only one over 16" allowed. in gorge section, bag limit 10 browns, only one over 16" allowed. All rainbows must be released.

Roaring Fork - bait allowed from crystal confluence down. bag limit two trout, only one over 16" allowed.

Crawford Reservoir - No bag limit on perch, and ten crappie, only two over 10" allowed. Bag limit is two pike, only one over 24" allowed.

Rio Blanco Lake - bag limit is 4 bass, all between 12 - 18" must be released. Bag limit for pike is four fish, only one greater than 24".

Yampa River - all pike must be returned to water immediately. bag limit for smallies is 5, only one over 12" allowed.

Colorado River - no flies or lures only sections. its a big river and can handle bait fishermen. Bag limit two trout, only one greater than 16" in all areas. In catfish areas, bag limit 5 cats, only one greater than 24" allowed.

TAylor Reservoir - Mackinaw stay as are. Bag limit for pike 2 fish, only one over 30" allowed.

All navigable rivers can be waded or anchored below high water mark

Most bass fisheries will not have 15" minimum length limit, but slot limits or restrictions on keeping mature bass. Same for most walleyes. Newly stocked walleye or bass fisheries will have minimum length limit.

Only true private property can have access banned. Property owned by city, county, state, or feds is public.

I know some of these regs may be unpopular, but I have fished enough in this state and take enough aquatics and icthyology to know what I am talking about. I care about this state's fish and many of these regs would solve problems and improve and preserve fisheries.

What do you people think? Which ones do you agree with? Disagree with?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
as long as you are flexable and willing to adjust the regs as populations change these would be a good start for the fish

the biggest problem is that most fisheman (non of our members) are not smart enough to handle the simpler regs we have now let alone these more complex sugestions i suppose we could demand strict enforcement but then i doubt many of oru faithfull DOW officers would be smart enough to keep the regs straight and properly enforce them heck some dont know or understand the regs we have!

as to the big pike on some waters you say 1 fish over 36 i would maybe go for more like 1 or 2 a year with the intent of trying to have more realy large fish

for the slot on the bass i would probly shift it up a bit allowing fish in the 10-14 maybe 15 inch fish to be kept and again only alowing 1-2 huge fish to be kept each year (huge? 20" maybe?)

i wish that most fisherman would be willing to pay high enough license fees so that the state could aford to manage most bodies of water on an indavidual basis but unfortunatly the cost would be astronomical

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I mostly fish along the front range (Fort Collins - Loveland area) so I only know by reputation, many of the bodies of water you mentioned (so far anyway), but I see nothing at all wrong with the general principles involved. I especially approve of limiting the take on large fish, since the amount of eggs they produce during spawning is so much greater. That has got to be good for the fishery.

A couple of points.

1. There should be exemptions to the public access rule for military installations and maybe certain other places where you just can't have a bunch of yahoos walking around. Try walking up to Cheyenne Mountain with a fishing rod in your hand! :D

2. I have lived and fished in a lot of states, but I have to admit that I don't know the people that populate the CDOW. I know I should. No excuse, there. But somebody must. And if you want to bring pressure to bear, in letters to state legislators and the like, you need to know who the perpetrators of all this foolishness are, and you need to NAME NAMES, and keep on naming names, until these people realize that their stupidity is in the spotlight, and is going to stay there.

Regards, W. E.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Walking Eagle said:
I mostly fish along the front range (Fort Collins - Loveland area) so I only know by reputation, many of the bodies of water you mentioned (so far anyway), but I see nothing at all wrong with the general principles involved. I especially approve of limiting the take on large fish, since the amount of eggs they produce during spawning is so much greater.  That has got to be good for the fishery.

A couple of points.

1. There should be exemptions to the public access rule for military installations and maybe certain other places where you just can't have a bunch of yahoos walking around. Try walking up to Cheyenne Mountain with a fishing rod in your hand!   :D

2. I have lived and fished in a lot of states, but I have to admit that I don't know the people that populate the CDOW. I know I should. No excuse, there. But somebody must. And if you want to bring pressure to bear, in letters to state legislators and the like, you need to know who the perpetrators of all this foolishness are, and you need to NAME NAMES, and keep on naming names, until these people realize that their stupidity is in the spotlight, and is going to stay there.

Regards, W. E.
I agree with restricting access to military areas.
And I can name TONS of names if you would like me to.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Try walking up to Cheyenne Mtn period, you'll get the Barr Lake ranger treatment.

At any rate, I have to disagree with how open you are to baitfishing, even with circle hooks.  When a fish gets a lure like rapala for example in its outh, it nearly immediately will spit the lure out as it doesn't taste or feel like food.  With bait, that's just not the case.  The fish think it food and nothing stops that feeling until they feel the hook.  Opening pristine trophy trout waters to pretty much every method of fishing would be detrimental to their habitat and subsequently, the fish population.  I have absolutely nothing against responsible baitfishing, but many of the weekend winchers out there that fish bait aren't responsible anglers.  Why open up wild fisheries to this abuse when they can catch the same size hatchery fish ad nauseum, without affecting these waters?  I do fish bait for catfish and bluegill, but I don't see the logic to opening up all large rivers to baitfishing.  Responsible baitfishing isn't as harmful, but weekend winchers who set the rod down an walk away are as about as good as rotenone and dynamite.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
how many of us have caught a fish with a lure only to realize that the fish hammered it and tore the hell out of themselves on all three hooks. i hardly ever bait fish but lures do quite a bit of damage also, especially if the barbs aren't pinched. how many of us really, honestly pinch them down all the time? myself included i sometimes forget until i start catching fish the realize how bad i'm tearing them up,especially when its a small fish on a big lure. these circle hooks really sound like a good bait option, just look at fishing guitars post on them, he banged the fish with them. seems like it is almost a better option, one single hook verses 9 indiv points on most big lures.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VolFan said:
Try walking up to Cheyenne Mtn period, you'll get the Barr Lake ranger treatment.

At any rate, I have to disagree with how open you are to baitfishing, even with circle hooks.  When a fish gets a lure like rapala for example in its outh, it nearly immediately will spit the lure out as it doesn't taste or feel like food.  With bait, that's just not the case.  The fish think it food and nothing stops that feeling until they feel the hook.  Opening pristine trophy trout waters to pretty much every method of fishing would be detrimental to their habitat and subsequently, the fish population.  I have absolutely nothing against responsible baitfishing, but many of the weekend winchers out there that fish bait aren't responsible anglers.  Why open up wild fisheries to this abuse when they can catch the same size hatchery fish ad nauseum, without affecting these waters?  I do fish bait for catfish and bluegill, but I don't see the logic to opening up all large rivers to baitfishing.  Responsible baitfishing isn't as harmful, but weekend winchers who set the rod down an walk away are as about as good as rotenone and dynamite.

Have to disagree with you. Most people who don't baitfish in rivers using the active method, which has a very low mortality rate, DO NOT CATCH MANY FISH. So they won't catch many fish to kill period.
I have experimented with this. On the Colorado River and Gunnison River, still fishing for trout with bait garners very few bites, no matter where and no matter how it is fished. Drifting the bait, however, is the only way to hook a lot of fish. And most all the time, you hook far more fish than flies or lures.
And as for allowing bait damaging fisheries? Antero allows bait, and trophy trout fishery was as good or better there than at Spinney at times. The Colorado River, White River, and Yampa River all allow bait in most areas. And guess what? They have more and bigger fish than other areas that don't allow bait and have similar fishing pressure.
Circle hooks have a very low mortality. Studies in lakes show that less than one in five swallow the hook. So if half of those fish that swallow survive, that is a 10% mortality rate, only twice that of flies or lures.
Actively drifting bait in lakes and rivers, mortality is barely higher than flies or lures.

It is true bait has a higher mortality. But it is exaggerated by TU and fishery managers who cater to TU and FFF. PROPERLY fishing bait makes it perfectly compatible with catch and release. And those who aren't fishing it in this manner are not going to hook many fish, period.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
by decreasing the bag limits as ice has suggested on these rivers is one way to protect the fish stocks also as ice has stated many times the guy that tosses his rig in the river and walks away wont catch tons of fish and if they fill there limit so be it most of those guys keep everything till they reach the limit any way

it would be nice if we could have some sort of reg making it illeagle to release badly injured fish and then stricter regs if fishing after you reach your limit like requiring circle/barbless or artificals only after your limit is reached

hey ice what do you think do you see a way to implament something like this

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
roadkill said:
by decreasing the bag limits as ice has suggested on these rivers is one way to protect the fish stocks also as ice has stated many times the guy that tosses his rig in the river and walks away wont catch tons of fish and if they fill there limit so be it most of those guys keep everything till they reach the limit any way

it would be nice if we could have some sort of reg making it illeagle to release badly injured fish and then stricter regs if fishing after you reach your limit like requiring circle/barbless or artificals only after your limit is reached

hey ice what do you think do you see a way to implament something like this
I support bait being allowed on all areas on the Colorado and Gunnison, and most areas on the Roaring Fork. Experiments in these rivers show that still fishing doesn't produce many hits at all.
In fact, I have caught literally thousands of trout on the Gunnison drifting bait, and deep hooked only a minor fraction of those, not even one in ten. I have also tried still fishing in this river. Guess how many hits I have ever had on the still rod. ZERO. On the Colorado, you will get a dozen strikes on drifted bait for every one you get on still bait, and at least 3 or 4 hits on flies or lures for every one on still bait.
I really don't support barbless hooks. A lot of studies have shown mortality to be no different. However in lakes such as Spinney and the Delaneys, I would support bait being allowed but ONLY with circle hooks. Antero and 11 - mile can stay as is.
Funny thing is you seldom, if ever hear of walleye, bass, or pike fishermen supporting no bait regs, even in areas where they are the only fish and are far more popular. You only here it about trout. To me, that shows its largely due to the fly purists. They exploit the fact that bait has a higher mortality in some situations as a tool to ban bait. Many of them have the goal of banning lures too and making all streams barbless flies only. You think I'm lying, sit in on a meeting and you will see that attitude is pretty prevelent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts