Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I need a new auger this year but definitely won't be getting something like the ion. Although that would be sweet. Car issues have been draining my funds

·
Registered
484 Posts
Bought my ION last year after multiple years of frustration with my Eskimo Barracuda. Having an auger that starts right up and drills as well as the old Eskimo is great. Looking forward to another year of ice fishing without cursing the dang Barracuda. I see where you can now purchase a 10 inch blade auger attachment - not sure I really need one but it started me to thinking. Same motor, battery, but just a bigger hole. Only reason I can see for stepping up to the 10 inch blade is room for the transducer on my fish finder but it wasn't a problem with the 8 inch hole so don't see the immediate need for upgrading yet.

btw - did I mention I really really really like not fussing with the gas/oil mixture and cold starting POS of the old Eskimo auger.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
A Ralpert sighting!!
I've had mine a couple years and love it! I haven't used my gasser since I got it. I've drilled many holes without any problems. It's nice being able to throw it on the back seat when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Kindof hard to drop $500+ on a auger right now, but the more i read, they seem like the real deal. Can't wait to hear how it works out for ya!

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Bought my ION last year after multiple years of frustration with my Eskimo Barracuda. Having an auger that starts right up and drills as well as the old Eskimo is great. Looking forward to another year of ice fishing without cursing the dang Barracuda. I see where you can now purchase a 10 inch blade auger attachment - not sure I really need one but it started me to thinking. Same motor, battery, but just a bigger hole. Only reason I can see for stepping up to the 10 inch blade is room for the transducer on my fish finder but it wasn't a problem with the 8 inch hole so don't see the immediate need for upgrading yet.

btw - did I mention I really really really like not fussing with the gas/oil mixture and cold starting POS of the old Eskimo auger.
Dude it's an ESKIMO! Nuff said-

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dude it's an ESKIMO! Nuff said-
No kidding. :(

I fought with the Eskimo getting it started. Had it overhauled twice and the POS still was dang near impossible to start. After one 130 mile drive (back and forth to Blue Mesa) and the thing wouldn't start is when I finally had it. Gave it away to a friend who said he would take it and see what he could do with it. My brother-in-law has an Eskimo Mako and he isn't that happy with it either. He had it overhauled fall of 2014 and it still had problems starting last winter. He has eyes on a propane auger but will be giving the Mako one last chance this winter.

And now that I think about it, I wonder how many Eskimo's are lying in the bottom of the lakes here in Colorado. Might be an interesting research project for someone.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Slayer and I were talking yesterday that even Eskimo hand augers suck...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had a chance to use the new auger today. It was freakin awesome. Every bit as good as I expected. The fishing was not bad either.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Ehh, I had an Eskimo that I had zero issues with, replaced with propane model, works fine. The old one had many days on Jefferson and chambers is some cold ass weather, started on the second or third pull everytime. I think Like anything else, there's lemons here and there.

I do like the propane and not mixing crap. Always have our can easily get propane.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts