Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2 hp 10" Strikemaster Lazer. Starts & runs great, but it drills the funkiest holes known to mankind. It has done it since I've owned the auger. The holes it drills are sloppy, like there's a bend in the shaft or something. They are never straight and the edges are never clean. I've ran it under no load and verified there's no visible wobble in the rotation of the shaft so I don't think the shaft is bent. The auger blades are very sharp, so it's not due to dull blades.

Anybody know what can cause this auger to cut such poor holes? Any ideas? I bought a new set of blades, but I just can't believe that's the problem.

Any advice is appreciated.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
If your vertically challenged as I am, (I'm 5'6"), then Golden Rod might be onto something. Manage your torque. I have the same unit and yeah, on occasion, depending how thick the ice is, I'm not clean on the sweep either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The problem is not necessarily the condition of the blades, but the the angle of attack of one blade in relationship to the other. Thus the "walk the dog action" of the cutting. Back in the day, Mora hand augers came with a shim pack to adjust the pitch of the blade. This pitch angle is also why it is so hard to sharpen these products at home, change the angle a minor bit.....no can cutty......Problem is, the sweet spot is as elusive a Trophy Laker. Good Luck...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Zach da MackAttack said:
I bhave thwe same auger...try to change the blades..and make sure there on right
Possibly Mack has something here on the blades. not sure...however our eskimo, stingray with new blades , no force needed to drill a hole, just hold on and it guides itself straight down, unbelieveable how fast and with no effort it drills holes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dogwood, I think it's the blades. I bet the previous owner "bounced" them on something and set them out of true. :eek: Suck up the $40 dollars at Gander for a new set, you'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out it was the blades. Got a new set for them and put them in correctly. Lo and behold, it bore through that ice like nobody's business! Interesting because there was no visible damage or difference in the old blades, and they were still very sharp! But drilling was believing.

Thanks for the help guys. Best $40 I've spent ice fishing in a while!

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
It's tough to figure out bad blades from good. No 'idiot light' on 'em. It's really by the way they perform.

Glad it was a simple fix.

I about died the other day when fishing in subfreezing temps at Granby and saw somebody drill a hole to rest the blade kit of the auger *in the ice*. Guess this guy hadn't had the displeasure of having a blade kit freeze into the ice and wrecked it pulling it out.

Having lost an entire day after hitting a rock at the Mile a few years ago, hubby and I have always kept a spare set of blades in the car. Yeah, it's a walk back to the car, but no more driving for hours back home either.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
fishingal said:
I have always kept a spare set of blades
always a super smart idea....when they go dull it is miserable trying to drill holes, and most blades, except for the jiffy stealth , can be changed in a few minutes out on the ice as long as you prepare for it and have the necessary tools with you to do it..

·
Registered
323 Posts
jamiehughes said:
fishingal said:
I have always kept a spare set of blades
always a super smart idea....when they go dull it is miserable trying to drill holes, and most blades, except for the jiffy stealth , can be changed in a few minutes out on the ice as long as you prepare for it and have the necessary tools with you to do it..
I also tape the allen key for the bolts on my auger handle so I always have it with me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts