Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I have posted the patterns I will be sending to Rainy's this year.

I would love any feedback. :

this is a Wolverine.

Black Peacock Wolverine.

Double shot. Twin tungsten beads, copper wire body, flash, UV goop.

Black Peacock Double Shot. These are conceived as a bridge between Copper Johns and Czech nymphs, and I think they would be cracking stillwater flies on stouter hooks. I fish them on a ten foot four weight for the tailwaters.

GoGo Dancer.

as above.

No name yet, but I bet this color would be great in the Cheesman/Deckers area with all the tiny caddis.

as above.

This is a flashback B3. These REALLY make the magic moments happen. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut...

cheers!

Shaun

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Very nice man... really diggin the gogo dancer with the white head... Second to last fly.. All very nice and original.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All I'm going to say is the mods need to get a life and get over it. He not selling nothing, he was just asking for an opion.

Get a life!!!!!!!

carlp

·
Registered
382 Posts
Call the one without a name the "Sour Apple".........

Bob

·
Registered
82 Posts
Holy crap you are clearly much better at tying than me (I saw the blog, 3 sittings?! I need to become a more efficient tier for sure). I really like those ties, and the b3's in particular.

The only thing I would change is to build up the thorax a bit on the B3, that's just my preference.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Just looked at these again... Dayam these are nice. I would dominate with these on a lake dude :eek: ;D Didn't mean to get you all hot and flustered Carl, lol. I was misinformed.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toad said:
Holy crap you are clearly much better at tying than me (I saw the blog, 3 sittings?! I need to become a more efficient tier for sure). I really like those ties, and the b3's in particular.

The only thing I would change is to build up the thorax a bit on the B3, that's just my preference.
Toad, most all of us need to become more efficient tiers. One thing that has helped me a bit was just taking the advice of guys that are fast. They all say the same thing, and it sucks to admit it, but they are correct.

Tie a LOT of a fly. Pick a size and color of a pattern and tie AT LEAST a dozen each time you tie it. Two things happen. You learn how to tie it well, any tricks for a particular pattern etc, and you wind up with a ton of flies. Both things are very good! I am a slow tier like most people, but I am getting better, because I have been tying minimums of twenty four flies each time my butt hits the chair.

I do tie the B3 in a range of configurations. It is my go-to dropper in many situations. It started off only being tied with a biot abdomen, and was thus the "Basic Biot Bug" but as I started getting smaller, biots did not always give me the profile I was after, so I went with thread for the body, and this caused me to be sad. I liked the "B3" name a lot, and did not want to rename it. But I later realized (duh!) that it could be the "Basic Beatis Bug" and all was well.

Some do have a fatter thorax, for example the PMD version. I just adjust the color and proportions to match different hatches for fussy trout with PHD's. The version in the picture above has been slaying trout for me locally as the smaller mayflies have come on with the colder weather. As much as I love the RS-II and Barr Emerger, I like catching fish on my own patterns better still.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Shaun, you know that unfortunately I don't know much about waving the faerie wand, but my own favorite was the first Go-Go Dancer (really nice). Then the red Double Shot, and then maybe the little unnamed green Cheesman/Deckers number.

Don't know how much you fish stillwater, but I think some of those would do well (the chironomid-type).

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update-

Looks like I got a little traction with the red Wolverine, the Double Shot, and the GoGo. They made the cut at least...
who knows? They are still looking at an annelid I did last year as well. We shall see.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, to resurrect an oldish post, I am proud to say I have just got word from Rainy's that they will be offering the following flies in the next catalogue:

Right on! I am super stoked. This proves it was not a fluke! ;)

Cheers.

SS

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
right on, you are a creative tyer, and you patterns are right Rainy's alley, i wish you nothing but the best

1 - 20 of 51 Posts