Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a big trip next month, xmas is coming up and I just bought me a new fly rod with out running it by her. It is a Gloomis Crosscurrent GLX brand new for 350 I could not pass up this deal. I have been kissing here butt all day I just don't know how to break it to her. Anybody else been in my shoes.

S

·
0 Posts
Dont say a thing, and when she finds it..... its your buddies, he forgot it in the car last trip :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she will find out she handles all the bills. I just sent her out with the girls I think I will send her a text while she is out.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Juan Ramirez said:
Rookie mistake! ;)

Always save up cash for these type of things! A $10 here and a $20 there, it may take a while but when it's paid for, it's paid for. Good luck.
X2..................John G.
Or you can can try to call it an early christmas present.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Dang man, been there! I always tell her I am selling some other gear to make up for it, but never do!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep it did not go over so well, she is a little hot. I am sure glad that she has to go to work tonight. I do the 10 here a 20 here thing for my fishing trips but I could not have planned for this deal. She is just mad because I got a new rod a couple of months ago and I leave for New Orelans next month. I try telling her there is a difference but you know how that is. She will get over it she always does if not does anyone need a roommate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Juan Ramirez said:
Rookie mistake! ;)

Always save up cash for these type of things! A $10 here and a $20 there, it may take a while but when it's paid for, it's paid for. Good luck.
That's just being sneaky and is the next rookie mistake, sooner or later she'll do one of two things, start asking where heck you're getting the money to pay for all that or keep her mouth shut and start doing the same thing, sometimes it's money and other times it can lead to other sneakiness.

The trick is, (this is only if she truly loves you) pick a hobby that's dangerous and do it for awhile, involve her in it, don't put her in any danger though, but enough to scare the crap out of her that way she knows exactly what you're up to. Do it for a little while longer, then switch it up to a nice safe hobby like fly fishing. It worked when I tried golf and worked like a charm with fly fishing, as long as I am not out wheeling she is completely fine with what I spend at the fly shop and very supportive when I say, honey I am going fishing tomorrow. Come to think of it, I don't catch any crap for sitting here in the tying room all day either (yep, that's right I have a tying room too) ;D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I've found it's best to tell her that I really want something, tell her how to acquire it, and let her get it for me.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got home from work and she just sound a lot tougher on paper she sent me an email saying she was not happy with my purchases and sounded pretty pissed but when I got home she did not say anything about it. She did not ask me how my day was at work but Hey I can live with that. We had a little talk last night on dinner about moving to Miami. She said that she did not want to go so I said ok but I will be taking 3-4 traveling fishing trips a year and that I need some new fishing gear for these trips and she agreed. I guess she didn't think I was going to start buying the gear that night. Well let’s see how she reacts when I start buying the reels for these bad boys.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Nice rod man! I'm still using a Cortland CL series I bought in 1996 at Long's Drug. I think I'm due for a clandestine purchase. I'm thinking TFO since it's not too unreasonable. Heh heh heh...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts