Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance, but what kind of fish is this? I actually caught it today while fishing for rainbows (it hit a panther martin that was almost as big as it was and got foul hooked) . I started thinking about it and switched the rainbow trout rapala on one of my rods for a small silver daredevle that resembled this fish and just started killing the 'bows. I kept a couple for the grill and they had stomachs packed with these things. Some almost looked like little crappies (I know this one isn't a crappie)

Is it a shad, ciscoe, something else? Being from minnesota, I've never seen a shad. Sorry that the pic isn't the best. the one feature I noticed that wasn't in the pic was it's tail was very deeply forked. It was bright silver with a bluish hue to it's back. It was very flat if that makes any sense.

Thanks for any info.

Thought I'd throw in a pic of one of the rainbows that were eating these things.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also screwed up, I meant to put this in the Colorado Fishing area. oh well...If one of you Mods feels like moving it, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Here ya go, farmer ted.. Got it moved for ya. I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers here, but I'll go first. It's a shad. What kind? Beats the heck out of me. I'll just assume either spottail or gizzard shad. I'm leaning more on the gizzard side, but what do I know. We'll reel in the experts from here  ;)

1eyeReD

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Oh yeah, and that bottom one is a fatticus fullbellius troutimus. Dude, that thing has been eating!!

NICE!

M

·
0 Posts
Hmmmm....I would say the species depends on the body of water. What body of water were you fishing and what were the GPS coordinates? ;D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
definatly a shad

L

·
0 Posts
Jury's done deliberating, verdict is shad. Funny how those little guys look just like certain lures!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys. I pretty much thought it was a shad but I also thought they had some kind of dot behind their head. maybe that's just a different species of shad. It was a fun day, I probably caught 20 or so of these fatties.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Your shad does have a faint spot behind it's head. Like all fish coloring, the black spot can vary in darkness, and even size and shape, quite a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts