Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started carving my own wood bass poppers. I have been using both balsa and bass wood. I also recently came into a large quantity of nail polish, my mother is a retiring manicurist and had a BUNCH left over.

I decided to paint a few rejects with nail polish cuase it's free so why not. It also seemed in line with using Sally Hansen Hard as Nails as a sealer and top coat as I use it as a head cement anyway. They have turned out looking ok but feel pretty heavy and feel kind of soft as the paint is fairly thick.

Has anyone else tried anything like this? I would like to be able to use my almost endless supply of free, colorful, and pre-glittered paint but not sure if it's durable enough. I have also been playing with the idea of thinning it out and running it through the ol' airbrush if anyone had specific experience with that.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Barbed

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If you have a lot of it then I would experiment with it being wasting some is no big deal. The wood carving time would be a loss.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I'm secure enough in my masculinity to admit that I played with some nail polish I picked up for cheap at the flea market. Turns out kokanee really like bubblegum pink on just about any lure. :thumb:

You can find bags of premade lure blanks in wood and plastic (flatfish, poppers, crank bodies etc.) online.

There were some really cool older posts here where CFF members used fine fishnet mesh and air brush to paint scales, etc. Don't know if those old pics will show up anymore on a search though. . .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts