Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hoping to get out early enough to give me time to hike into a less conspicuous locale but one thing led to another
and I only had time to go for a quick jaunt up the canyon. As always on a weekend, it was a bit crowded but if you
are deliberate about choosing your spots to fish you can easily get away from people. The wind was whipping pretty good, but
thankfully there were calm periods where I didn't have to resort to a cast that resembled me chucking rocks in the river

Only fished for an hour and a half and managed two decent bows. I love this time or year, essentially winter flows with
better weather and the bug life is starting to pick up. That leads me to my question, what is the bug depicted below?
Based on the flat body I am assuming a golden stone but I thought all stone's had 5 sets of appendages? Maybe I took
a crap picture but I only see 4 sets and no antennae. Anyways, I took a quick seine of the river and these bad boys
were everywhere! I'd say sizes 14 or 16. Both fish were taken on a purple jujubaetis (I love that fly) with an ice dubbed hares ear
out in front.

Great day for a a quick trip, no matter how the day plays out I am always glad I get out- be it for 8 hours or 2. I would have
had more time on the river but the Sunday driver mentality was out in full force...if you can't even drive the minimum
speed limit and you have 6 cars behind you, MOVE THE F OFF THE ROAD!! I don't drive like Dale Earnhart but I could have driven up there
faster in reverse.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
yup, looks like a mayfly nymph to me!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'd say a mayfly nymph as well but they should have a three-pronged tail as far as I know. Maybe it's an anomalous mayfly nymph lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the more I look around, the more it is looking like a mayfly nymph. They were definitely a crawler variety, and the lack of the obvious three tails and size had me thinking stonefly.

At any rate, the amount of these little sirloins floating around is promising!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I'm no entomologist, and I actually never even remotely dove into identifying hatches very well. However, allow me to keep talking out of my ass till someone of authority shows up.

I do know that these bugs, in nature, are commonly imperfect. Missing legs, bulging bodies that don't taper - cripples... maybe even a fused tail...?

This is why even poorly tied, or beat up, flies catch fish. It's also entirely possible that the tail starts out as one and then splits to 3 later in the cycle? Man, I bet this kind of info is available out there, but it sure is fun guessing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm no entomologist, and I actually never even remotely dove into identifying hatches very well. However, allow me to keep talking out of my ass till someone of authority shows up.

I do know that these bugs, in nature, are commonly imperfect. Missing legs, bulging bodies that don't taper - cripples... maybe even a fused tail...?

This is why even poorly tied, or beat up, flies catch fish. It's also entirely possible that the tail starts out as one and then splits to 3 later in the cycle? Man, I bet this kind of info is available out there, but it sure is fun guessing.
So that's why my bugs catch fish! I posted this on another fly fishing forum, looks to be drunella cornuta. They are in the BWO family, learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would say some kind of clinger nymph. They are usually found in moderate to fast water under rocks. I would use either a hares ear or PT..... lol

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would make sense being how it was a good size nymph. At any rate I think we all agree on the mayfly designation.

Bugz- don't those two flies cover the bases on any/every nymph out there? I will have to post up some of the bugs I have been tying lately. Whipped up a couple of PT variations last night to try and mimic the nymph in question.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mayfly...If the canyon you went up is what I think it is, I would bet Green Drake as it has a huge drake population; one of the best drake hatches in the state.

If you go up to the meandering "S" turns, you should hit the winter stonefly hatch as long as there is still snow around. Another awesome hatch on that river.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It is technically a stone fly molt, not a hatch. But you can figure it is going on if you see stonefly shucks floating in the water.

Yes a hares ear or PT in different sizes and weights will cover the majority of mayfly nymphs. Trout don't speak latin... My freestone nymph box is roughly half hares ear and PT, the other half is caddis larvae, and soft hackles. Maybe 10% of that box fits into the misc other wet flies.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would guess Green Drake.

They start going from size 18 to 12 as soon as the warmer weather starts. As in now. A generic pattern I tie to imitate the nymphs here on the West Slope.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I would guess Green Drake.

They start going from size 18 to 12 as soon as the warmer weather starts. As in now. A generic pattern I tie to imitate the nymphs here on the West Slope.

Nice lookin flies man!

I'll take a dozen plz. :smile:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Honestly I don't even try to identify insects by name anymore, I just use my eye to find a size+pattern that imitates. My "Handbook of hatches" has a 1/2" of dust on it :)

@dubbn, I agree with @CF LURKER -- that's a good looking pattern! Hats off my friend. I'd take a dozen as well; size 22 please :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those are some nice flies, should have participated in the fly swap!

I was flipping through Pat Dorsey's new book and saw Shane Stalcups green drake nymph - it looks to be a pretty damn good replication.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts