Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanna update on my "new" leader connection. I was doing this all along on my fly rod....but never tried it on braid....until last Saturday night. Using a loop to loop connection I easily tied on and changed leaders in the dark. You could have leaders looped and ready to make it even faster.

I snagged up several times and ALWAYS broke my Palomar knot and never at the leader knots.....I could never say that about my uni's or my blood knots. And I never broke on a hookset until I tried straight nanofil without a leader.....I believe the rock scuffed the nanofil and it broke. I went back to a flouro leader and it solved that problem. You can go bigger on the leader.....say 15 lb flouro....even a 2 foot leader of that will protect the nanofil and take abrasion far better. I never retied my nano loop.....it held fine...I just snipped the flouro loop and slid it out when my leader got too short.

I also used this loop to loop on power pro....same great results.

Just posting to help those who fear or have bad luck with leaders.....give this method a try....easy to rig....slides through guides surprisingly well too.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Power pro hasnt given me much in the abrasion department. I also run a 14lb floro bout 6'. If you get it hung bow and arrow that bizzitch. 9/10 i get it out. If your fishin a kasty switch it to a single j and point it up. On my bigger jerks ill take off the front treb and that seems to help quite a bit. Will have to try that next time. Thx, throw up a pic of the knots

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've found nanofil to add some significant casting distance vs similar diameter standard braid. I have found that it likes to fray rather badly. I run 6LB nano to 4LB vanish with a back to back uni and haven't had an issue with the connecting knot. I also prefer a san diego jam for my terminal connection.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a surgeon knot to make the loops.....then just poke the braid loop thru the leader loop and then run the leader end thru the braid loop and pull tight. Easy as can be....I put it thru the ringer last friday for 12 hours and never had a break on the loop knots. You can easily switch to a mono leader to throw topwater or a flouro for deep presentations.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I use a surgeon knot to make the loops.....then just poke the braid loop thru the leader loop and then run the leader end thru the braid loop and pull tight. Easy as can be....I put it thru the ringer last friday for 12 hours and never had a break on the loop knots. You can easily switch to a mono leader to throw topwater or a flouro for deep presentations.

That's the surgeon loop. Just making sure things are clear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
6lb nanofil to 8lb p-line fluorocarbon is one of the most finicky connections I've encountered in a lifetime of fishing. One must be extremely fastidious and tie flawless knots for a truly reliable connection. The fluorocarbon leader is very important, even in turbid water, as it is much more abrasion resistant than the low diameter nanofil.

As a side note, if you are fishing moving water with a large amount of silicate like the pulverized mica like that produced and distributed by the 2013 floods, take time to clean the residue from your guides because it will slowly destroy any line without due diligence.

Dissident

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
6lb nanofil to 8lb p-line fluorocarbon is one of the most finicky connections I've encountered in a lifetime of fishing. One must be extremely fastidious and tie flawless knots for a truly reliable connection. The fluorocarbon leader is very important, even in turbid water, as it is much more abrasion resistant than the low diameter nanofil.

As a side note, if you are fishing moving water with a large amount of silicate like the pulverized mica like that produced and distributed by the 2013 floods, take time to clean the residue from your guides because it will slowly destroy any line without due diligence.

Dissident
Did Colorado.Mackinaw get a new username?

This isn't a college term paper, it's a fishing forum :rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts