Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really like this stuff for casting distance but I've noticed after being on the spool for a month or so it gets frayed with some weak spots. Not real durable.
Kind of reminds me of fireline in that respect. .May be an abrasion problem

Anybody else notice this? I'm in the process of switching all my reels back to regular braid. I was using the 14 lb.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Interesting... I've heard mixed reviews. That said, many of the good fishermen I know like it. I'm interested to hear the response here.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The stuff is almost too thin. I still like mono for tubes and most metal. More flutter=more fish.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I like it but it frays too easily IMO. I switch spools when I'm fishing rip rap areas.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I've used it in the past, and recently started using it for my ice fishing setups. Love it for the ice stuff. The only problem I had with it for my open water gear was tying leaders to it. Too damn slick, it seems. Had a lot of line to line knot failures with that. Other than that, no issues.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I just started using it and love the distance I get out of the casts, tying a leader to it does suck! Anyone fish it with no leader?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have used this for most of my ultra light fishing, which for me is most often. I tie leaders with a double uni, line twist is the biggest issue in concern with wear. Smaller swivel than with mono, and let the line untwist every few casts. There is no give in nano and will usually snap at the knot if snagged on a rock or stump, or on the rare occasion for me a big fish.
My two cents.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've used it in the past, and recently started using it for my ice fishing setups. Love it for the ice stuff. The only problem I had with it for my open water gear was tying leaders to it. Too damn slick, it seems. Had a lot of line to line knot failures with that. Other than that, no issues.
Double albright solved the leader problem for me.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've fished it with no leader using the "nano" knot and had good success with soft plastics and even managed to land one 30" pike on it without getting sawed off. I love the casting distance with it, but it is rather easy to break off and frays more readily than the braids.

I have since switched to Seagar Smackdown and haven't had those issues. Been using the 10lb for lighter lure applications and it is pretty strong for as thin as it is and still allows for good lure action. Drawback is that it is significantly more $$$ than the Nano.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I also have noticed "fray" in the NANO fill line..
Usually about 4-5' up from the leader..
I just cut it off and re tie a flouro leader to it with an ALBERTO KNOT.
Good to go after that...

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Yeah I stopped using the green (you wouldnt think it would be any different) it would just wear and break have had a tiny bit of wear with the white but if I do I just cut it off and retie like I would do any other line...and I use it a lot and the really thin stuff...as Slayer says but not with spoons you dont get the flutter...also with knots I use a double uni with 7 or 8 wraps on each side...usually on snags it will break at the lure or leader and I get some part of my leader back...never slips at the knot...funny story on Atown fishing with gofindyourowndamnfish...since it is electric motors only he casted his lure out to troll it to our spot...that was the early days of nano...well I am assuming it was a big trout that freight trained him going the other way and took the lure and the leader he tied a new leader/lure on and the same thing happened again with our newly discovered Nano...moral of the story more wraps!...

Great line I love it...use it on the ice too...no issues...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts