Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use it? I spooled up one of my spin rods with it and it's sensitive as can be and casts further than any line of equal strength that I've ever fished. I found you have to check for nicks once in a while....but using a flouro leader will protect the line most of the time. What knot do you guys use for the leader to line with nano? I don't like the uni to uni for it....and the albright is a pain in the dark......so I'm gonna do a loop to loop connection for easier leader changes. Thoughts?

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
7 wrap unis and no issues with slippage ever...

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7 wrap unis and no issues with slippage ever...
Yeah...I didn't have slippage...just always broke on the uni instead of at lure when I snagged up.....and a couple times on hook set but I think I had a frey. Just looking for faster and easier leader methods for night fishing....my eyes aren't what they used to be in the dark.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Yeah...I didn't have slippage...just always broke on the uni instead of at lure when I snagged up.....and a couple times on hook set but I think I had a frey. Just looking for faster and easier leader methods for night fishing....my eyes aren't what they used to be in the dark.
Ran a nanofil spool for a summer and ditched it.. Disliked it. Frayed easily and looked like it was hairy 2 months in. I run powerpro and havent seen any fray in 3 years. Chit my nano lost its color that summer too, power pro again like new. I uni uni cause its easy. Never had slippage unless i was jigging her violently hard and the rod bent the wrong way.... can we say brown trout?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Try a "double wrapped" improved clinch knot with the nano and a normal clinch knot on the leader. I've never had any issues with it at all. my 20lb leader will break before the knot will.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies....I love power pro but I'm getting much more distance on my casts with the nanofil. I'll give that knot a try dakota....thanks.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
I had fraying and strength problems with the green colored nano but not the white...I ditched the green but love the white nano...wouldnt think dying the line wouldnt matter but the green sucked...and sometimes the leader breaks at the lure and sometimes at the uni...

·
Registered
16,498 Posts
I had fraying and strength problems with the green colored nano but not the white...I ditched the green but love the white nano...wouldnt think dying the line wouldnt matter but the green sucked...and sometimes the leader breaks at the lure and sometimes at the uni...
Hows that nano work with a jigging rap at Atown?

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Its caught a bazillion walleyes...

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
No thats a fisherman failure...not used to fishing for forage...

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
or no worse than metal works for 10 lb plus trout...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Hey man, try the triple surgeons at night. It's super easy and fast and holds well. I have not had any issues with it

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
When I first tried nanofil I fell in love with the casting distance. The sensitivity was great as it is on all braid. Then I started having the abrasion problems mentioned and I went back to suffix 832. Always fished it with a long fluro leader but it still started to fray-reminded me of fireline in that respect.

I fish for bass mostly-for open water angling it would be better.

All lines are very much a personal thing-a line that somebody doesn't like some body else loves. It just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I think of line as a tool, like the rest of the gear I use. I think when folks get programmed into using one type of line, they limit themselves. Learning what works best for each method is something that will pay dividends forever. Learn why no stretch hurts treble baits. Learn why fluoro sucks for topwater...learn why trolling with mono can help hook up ratios, but using a fluoro leader on the mono fixes the biggest issue with it!

There is tons more to it and many folks can't really have tons of gear, so using what works best for many applications is what they are forced to do... But that is no reason not to know what each line adds or takes away from each application. Like everything else, the more you know....

·
Registered
924 Posts
I think of line as a tool, like the rest of the gear I use. I think when folks get programmed into using one type of line, they limit themselves. Learning what works best for each method is something that will pay dividends forever. Learn why no stretch hurts treble baits. Learn why fluoro sucks for topwater...learn why trolling with mono can help hook up ratios, but using a fluoro leader on the mono fixes the biggest issue with it!

There is tons more to it and many folks can't really have tons of gear, so using what works best for many applications is what they are forced to do... But that is no reason not to know what each line adds or takes away from each application. Like everything else, the more you know....
Good points indeed, but I haven't heard of this notion at all. The only reason I can imagine you would put a flouro leader on mono is for line invisibility purposes. Is there another advantage?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Good points indeed, but I haven't heard of this notion at all. The only reason I can imagine you would put a flouro leader on mono is for line invisibility purposes. Is there another advantage?
Flouro is heavier and it sinks. So a flouro tip can act like a sinking leader.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Fluoro is much more abrasion resistant, it also doesn't absorb water like mono does. When mono is trolled, it gets much more prone to abrasion because it absorbs water. As said earlier, fluoro sinks and is less visible... add the abrasion factor and the decision is easy as to why to add a leader to mono when trolling. Prolly not the best if you are casting top water lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts