Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening guys, I've been in denver just over a year now and haven't been to RMNP yet. I'd like to go tomorow and try my flyfishing luck. Any advice on where to go would be greatly appreciated. i really don't care about size or numbers, but a few fish and some scenery would be nice. Any suggestions?
Conversely I might save teh gas and go to the Chicago Lakes in the shadow of Mt Evans, great fishing for cuts. Any one want to weigh in on favoring one more than the other? I was up M Evan today, the colors are great. Thanks for any advice.

M

·
0 Posts
On a hike to Crystal Lake in RMNP (It was like a ten mile hike and I think it was Crystal Lake) my dad and I killed cutthroats on red San Juan worms. Just drop them into little pools, but those fish are easily startled, so be stealthy.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Volfan

Morraine Park Meadows are Pretty kewl...there are 3 different kinds of water...if you go into the link below and blow it up to 200 percent and look for the Morraine Park museum...if you go to the left of the "M" in Museum on the map you will see 5mi and 8km on the map...right below the "m" in 8km there is a parking lot right off the road...you can see the river (Big Thompson if I remember right) goes into a "T" right below there also...if you follow the upper version it goes through a ton of oxbows with undercut grassy banks...the bottom branch of the "T" starts out meadow undercut oxbows and kind of goes back along the hillside with some beaver areas...if you take either and walk a ways you will probably have it all to yourself...I used to use floating Rapalas in there and there are many browns and brookies...walk softly they spook easily...you will be walking upstream and there will be little guys in the tail of the pools which will dart into the main pool spooking everything...for flies I would try terrestrials like ants and hoppers...small streamers...hares ears and beadheads for nymphs...

If you go downstream from there it becomes a really kewl area...huge room sized boulders with the stream running between them and deep pocket water...you have to jump from boulder to boulder...fish hide in the shadows and ambush prey...if you go up by Cub Lake Trailhead parking the stream is a many branched area that is full of beaver ponds...at least it was...lots of brooks higher up...some browns...the elk should be bugling...it is a wonderful area in the fall that one can usually have to himself...hope that helps...

http://www.nps.gov/romo/downloads/maps/detailedmap.pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts