Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all i would like to introduce myself iam deputycinnamonbear or bear just for short. i have been fishing since i was about two. my wife sunshine is my fishing buddy we always fish together (she usally out fishes me :mad:) we lived in grand county for several years and fished all the local lakes with great succes. i need some help i have recently moved to the durango area and am farily new at warm water fishing. i have been having trouble constantly chatching smallies , carppies any suggestions. i will galdly trade info on trout fishing granby,shadow mountain, willow creek, willams fork, wolford,

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
welcome to the board bear and sunshine (whats a bear without sunshine right) Well the short answer to your question is cover, both crappie and bass are ambush fish and like to stay in cover and only leave to grab bait fish or anything else that comes close to their spot. Smallies usually stick to rock drop offs and riprap areas. Crappies usually stick to timber, docks and sometimes rock cliffs.
Smallies I like throwing spinners and roster tails. Live bait minnows and leeches.
Crappie I like roster tails and crappie jigs. Live bait minnows.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looks like we have finally somebody that can answer the age old question about bears in the woods!! Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
welcom bear and sunshine
how close to radon central er i mean durango do you live, i have some friend that are out towards bayfield and have fished vallecito res for some nice smallies at that lake i did best with 2-3"twister tails along the riprap at the dam

do you take advantage of the trout fishing round there i liked the animas ( have always wanted to get droped off by the train to fish the remote sections of the animas) also had a lot of fun on the florida river down from lemon res
remember navajo is about the only place on your side of the divide you can use live baitfish.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone for the info we also live near bayfield and have fished valcito(spelling?) i have cought a couple small smallies there ona black and white roster tail. thanks for the info on the twisters what colors ahve worked well for you. i have tried browns and blacks with no succes. as for trout fishing sunshine is learning to flyfish so maybe next year will hit the rivers. we both really miss the macs on granby. way to far to drive with gas prices hope they come down soon maybe i can make it up there before the lake frezzes.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i like chartruse at vallecito, or anyware else for that mater kinda by goto color but i remmeber vallecito being pretty clear so it might be better to use some more subdued colors but still on the light side and the darker browns and blacks might be a good choice for dark days, and nights

and when cranking for smallies on vallecito hold onto your rod good you never know when mister pike might surprise you they had some biguns in there in the past

1 - 7 of 7 Posts