Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me the low down guys. Trying to decide where to go for a week in early May. Flaming Gorge Lake Trout, Kansas Stripers, or Pike from who knows where.

Will the Pike be biting? What will the pattern be?

How about camping? Best spots and campgrounds?

How about the lake itself. Does it get overrun with crowds of partiers?

Do I have to buy a New Mexico license or anything?
Please share whatever you can as I haven't been there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You have to buy a new mexico license I believe, I know the best fishing is at the new mexico end of the lake. Early may could be a bit early for the pike, but you could get some if the weather stays warm. I'd fish back ends of coves if I was pike fishing. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Good lake, not crowded, especially in early May. You want to fish the NM side so you'll need a liscense. Its 35 miles long and 15,000 acres so theres alot to fish. All the usual stuff works well there. Get a map and concentrate on the coves and main lake points. I just run the boat down the lake and shore camp with the pooch-showers and toilets are for weanies. ;D Ed

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ed Marcol said:
Good lake, not crowded, especially in early May.  You want to fish the NM side so you'll need a liscense.  Its 35 miles long and 15,000 acres so theres alot to fish.  All the usual stuff works well there.  Get a map and concentrate on the coves and main lake points.  I just run the boat down the lake and shore camp with the pooch-showers and toilets are for weanies. ;D  Ed
Thanks for the information.

My old lady ain't down with that. I need her to help launch the boat and net fish so I take her. LOL

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
BTW: This is the only lake west of the continental divide in which live baitfish are legal!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
EricCO-For the true Navajo experience you need to talk the "old lady" into it. I hate going to a lake and the campgrounds are 200 yds. from the water. I like the be on the water-that way you can night fish for the channels (there are some very nice ones in here), you got the worlds largest outdoor outhouse and a 15.000 acre tub. Take a couple bottles of wine and go native. ::) Ed

·
Registered
314 Posts
One of my friends fishes the tailwater coming out of the dam. Large fish...but he uses a fly that one of his friends ties. If I get a chance I'll ask him for more details.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have fished for pike there several times my buddy caught 20 lb one there lots over 36 inches we always fish the upper 10 miles. troll or cast the biggest rainbow rapala you have

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the best way to get there from Denver?

Go to Walsenburg then head west or go through south park?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Walsenburg might be a little further miles wise but its faster, I think. Its the way I always go from CS. Hey, if you go I want a "full report" when you get back. Ed

·
Registered
281 Posts
Eric,
I have a good frienf who live down there used to go down about once a month.
if you leave early am like between 4 and 5 287 is the faster way from Denver, ortherwise 25 to walsenburg is best.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts