Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday I was fishing the river near my house and the banks are concrete and really steep in the area (it was a new spot for me, prolly never shouldve went there.) somehow, when I was walking down the steep concrete to another spot (I was about 20 ft above the water or so) I slipped, hit my head, broke my fishing pole and cell phone, and was temporarily knocked unconscious/dazed...about 1 min later I came to about 30 yards downriver choking down river water...almost drowned and died...but NOT QUITE >:D

Please share some of your similar experiences.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
albow said:
Man, I am glad you are ok. Sounds like you really were in danger there. :(
to think, I used to float the gunnison in the gorge, the colorado in many dangerous sections, and the yampa in many dangerous sections, yet I never came close to anything like this happening...and I went to shore fish a river with just a mild steady current and not really any drastic changes in gradient, and I almost died...shows me you gotta be careful when fishing, no matter where you go and no matter what time.

to the guy who posted about the guy trying to snag tigers, you should've cast over his head with a big treble and jerked it towards him...LMFAO....just kidding, but damn what a loser, he needs to learn how to fish for real.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm the guy that posted about the tiger snagger ;D I'm Eric, formerly fishinguitars....

I'm willing to be a lot of the tigers you see pictures of from younger kids and some db older guys have been snagged. I've seen it more than a few times...They aren't afraid of ish and will just sit and sun themselves in two feet of water. It makes me sick....

When I was younger I didn't prepare myself to fish in colder weather like I should. I'd wear the warmest gear I had, but wasn't concerned with sweat or anything.....Long story short I got sicker than a dog from a long hike. Don't think I was hypothermic(sp), but I was damn close. Live and learn.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah when I was 10 or so I remember fishing for small tigers (mid 20" range) at harvey gap and I could see em...even tho I got skunked that day I still didn't try to snag any...finally got one to commit on a banjo minnow...must've thrown it past him 20 times, I bet he finally just hit it cuz I pissed him off :D, but I missed him...and that's definitely a good point you make eric, you gotta prepare for the weather, and you have to prepare for it being worse than you could imagine it being...it is great to talk to you again btw; used to love your crash the hatch posts.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dieseldoctor said:
You too buddy.. Not trying to get off track on the post, but mad props for stepping up and being an awesome Dad. Takes a real man to do what your doing.
Thanks...I'm glad she wasn't with me when that happened...I always make sure to take her to safe places that I already know the terrain well and have fished so she won't be in any danger. Definitely won't be taking her to this spot, even if it was good fishing; I hooked a keeper walleye but lost it in the five or six casts I had before my accident.

Keep the kids safe!!! only fish easy to access spots with kid-friendly terrain!

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
After the Dynamic thread they might not be glad you got out!...

Glad youre ok...Neal said he almost did that Aurora on the dam...in heavy waves...those first steps underwater are slime covered at times worse than freshly zambonied ice...he came close to knocking himself unconscious...

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
2 years ago I was fishing williams fork through the ice. I hooked into one of the few monsters into the lake and fought the fish for 36 minutes. When I got him to the hole, I reached down to grab him and he turned and swam harder than the drag, and broke me off. I drilled another hole and began drowning myself in despair and frustration. That coincidentally enough was the last time I ever used berkely vanish.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Bear, glad you are okay.

You and Eric helped me get my passion for fishing back in the early days of this forum. Thanks!

Dave, I feel your pain (and my brother feels it from WF ice several times over)

No experiences while fishing but several while archery hunting. That will change since I just bought a kayak.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Dang, that is scary stuff right there my man. I was once alone in a canyon in Utah and walked up on a FRESH lion kill. all the hair on the back of my neck was standing up. I knew that bad boy was looking at me. At least it was fed.

Had another cat creep on me at Chatfield. It was a juvenile, maybe 50 pounds, but I damn sure don't wanna mess with a 50 pound cat. :-X

Got struck by lightning once. I did the 200 meter back to my car in seven and a half seconds. :eek:

Fell off the sea wall crabbing when I was like four. My extremely pregnant mother dove in and pulled me out. Thanks mom.

A couple tornados. (Texas)

I guess random stuff will happen when you are out there all the time.

SS

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Dictator Tot said:
Had another cat creep on me at Chatfield. It was a juvenile, maybe 50 pounds, but I damn sure don't wanna mess with a 50 pound cat. :-X
I would have punched that kitten right in it's effing grill. now I know where to go to live out my fantasy of fistfighting a cougar. >:D >:D

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hubby slipped and fell several years ago while fishing the Taylor. Was wearing his old waders (no belt, of course), and landed in the water, hit his back on a rock on the way down, lost feeling in his left leg, and as his waders were filling up with water, he rolled over, crawled out of the water like they'd taught him in boot camp, and got out of the river. He still had his rod in his hand, and crawled back up the bank, stripped out of his waders as he went, and eventually got back to his car. If you've ever fished the Taylor, you know how fast that water can equal hypothermia.

He was between jobs at that point, and was still in the reserves. The closest VA hospital is a long drive to GJ. He said his leg eventually de-numbed about 2 days later. Back still hurts when the weather gets bad. Never did go to the doctor to get it looked at. That's my Randy...

My experience was from a long, long time ago - my sister and I were like five and six so that would be about 1973-ish, and family was up at Ogallalla or Big Mac in dad's Starcraft ski boat. Had traveled all the way across the lake, swam a little, then weather turned south, the sky turned black, and we loaded up and took off fast. I vaguely remember my mom putting both of us kids down on the carpeting in the back of the boat, and throwing a big blanket over us and I remember feeling either really hard rain or hail hitting us as we were going full-throttle back across very choppy water (I can still hear the sound almost 40 years later and I hate going at high speed in hard chop as it flashes right back) and something about a funnel cloud... man, thinking about that, I can still smell the exhaust from that big old Mercury outboard on there... people don't seem to understand why I'm not keen about going all out in a boat with a big outboard.

Mom never went out in the boat again with dad, ever. Dad had boats (mostly sailboats) until he died in '94. I'd had a cousin who was decapitated in a lake in TX when he fell under his own dad's speedboat and hit the prop - they never did find his head - this was back in the '60's sometime right before my brother died in 1966 (car crash at 19).

I think mom was having flashbacks after the incident in NE. I never really blamed her, either - dad was always a little crazy like that.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Fell out of the boat one time and was swiming down instead of swiming up, once it got dark i realized what i was doing wrong.
The next one is not fishing related but envoles water, we drove up to blouder falls to do some cliff diving in blouder creek, well it was during spring run off and boulder creek was blown out, the area were we needed to get to requiered crossing the creek, then climb up to the area that u jump from, all my buddys voluntered me to go first, i got into postion, jumped in , as soon as i hit the water I new i was in trouble, i was swept away and heading for about a 100 drop, I new my only chance was to try and grab a rock and work my way torwards the bank, the first rock i grabberd was a eye opener, no really thats what happend the force of the water peeled my eyes wide open, ripped my shoes and my trunks off all at once, I thought i was done for sure, i was able to maintain my grip just long enough that my buddy had time to grab a tow rope from his car and throw it to me, needless to say, that was the last time i ever went cliff diving.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow Glad your ok, hope you do to the Dr, to get yourself checked out, head trama that is enough to knock you out should always be checked out you can be fine for a few days and then things can go wrong! please get yourself checked out!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Black Elvis said:
Dictator Tot said:
I would have punched that kitten right in it's effing grill. now I know where to go to live out my fantasy of fistfighting a cougar. >:D >:D
That one is way to easy, if you want the number of some cougars that like that sort of thing, I can hook you up.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tds31 said:
Wow Glad your ok, hope you do to the Dr, to get yourself checked out, head trama that is enough to knock you out should always be checked out you can be fine for a few days and then things can go wrong! please get yourself checked out!
can do...I have been feelin a little fuzzy in the head lately...and its finals week this week, my last week of school...not really a good time to be feeling like this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts