Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Right. Nowhere near a world record. And an old video that's made the rounds over and over.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh damn....I had no idea whether or not it was near world record that was just the title, still a big fish none the less

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The way I see it. Things are different up in Canada. More water and bigger water with an exponential more amount of big fish with much less fisherman. Those waters do not face anything like the challenges we face with Lake trout. My guess is that if these fisherman were from and in Colorado, this video would have been different. They definitely don't appear to be the slob type ignoramuses that we see down here killing big fish. Judging by their gear, they look like very avid laker fisherman with some class. Up there, selective harvest might involve taking a few bigger fish to help keep the other big fish big. Its not like that here in Colorado, If you kill a big fish, another one does not take its place.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Exactly my thoughts, fordo. Our people to fish able waters ratio is quite sad, in comparison to say MN or MT. Keeping populations in check is not an issue here on most lakes.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Canada takes care of their fisheries, most lodges are catch and release on larger fish and single barbless hooks only. Fishing matters there and they take it serious, here it's a secondary issue behind water management.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Canada takes care of their fisheries, most lodges are catch and release on larger fish and single barbless hooks only. Fishing matters there and they take it serious, here it's a secondary issue behind water management.
Yep, More and more people are enjoying laker fishing but water management is first. Our manmade waters, made into artificial fisheries, with artificial trout and artificial salmon are totally different and just don't compare to up north. Were lucky to have lakers introduced to the reservoirs, a species that can naturally reproduce, give great angling opportunity by getting real big and strong fighting. most people like to eat them, and they aren't all that destructive of a predator that seem to consume a variety and balance of forage from plankton on up.

·
Registered
9,161 Posts
said it 50 times before...

stock a baitfish the fish can eat... like what they have up north...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Gaffs are illegal in Granby, only place I know of in Co. One more of the things Jake Bennitt did right. That fish is nowhere near a world record.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
And whos to say they didn't release the fish? They gaffed it properly, through the thin flesh of the lower jaw (the hole will heal). They didn't rough house the fish. They are obviously seasoned fisherman based off thier gear and the way he played the fish. I think some of us "colorado fisherman" are to quick to judge, especially on issues that we may think we know a little about when in fact we know nothing about! Fishing up north is a whole differnt ball game then down here. JM2C

And since when is a 30lbs mac close to a world record?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Again different parts of the world, different ways of doing things. I personally don't think gaffs should be used on any freshwater fish, but if someone is going to use one, they should use it properly. And in this case they did.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate here let's just say the dude in this video c&r lakers regularly where he's from and went on the trip in the video specifically to target a trophy to mount. Is that such a bad thing? If you go in tackle shops restaurants ex. Around lake trout lakes in CO you see trophy macs on the walls. A lot of those dudes prolly c&r regularly but chose to keep one for a mount at some point. And then again dude's in Canada where percentages of fish to fishermen are prolly quite different from here. Not saying I argee with gafing fish ex. Just sayin by watching a video we hardly see the whole story.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I saw enough of the story. Blood on the ice from catching what I guess were some eaters. Guy sets his rod down and grabs the line to land the fish..really? Gaffs the fish and than holds it up vertically supporting the weight of the fish by the gaff for photos..My belief after reading the responses and not hearing anyone say that he turned it loose..It's one dead laker.

Also read the comments and most seem to think keeping and mounting or eating the fish is entirely appropriate. Same comments we've read on the forums in Colorado.

Why not just take a quick pic and hang the pic on the wall..and if you really need to kill a trophy and mount it on the wall..Why not think twice about it and get a replica made of your penis instead.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you go in tackle shops restaurants ex. Around lake trout lakes in CO you see trophy macs on the walls.

Take a close look at those mounts you speak of. I bet they have a lot of dust cause they are old. I'm glad most have evolved to understand we can't do this today or we would be out of big fish in a hurry.

·
Registered
245 Posts
God damn you laker dudes are whiny! I dunno, but I'm pretty sure you've all killed fish before... ::)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts