Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to fish big mac for a night...after seeing all the great photos and the cat fishing being so off and on here (mostly off it seems) we are going jump on the band wagon to give a shot. does anyone have any info on purchasing an out of state license there? i can see you can get them online....a good deal...but do you need a parks permit to stay there for a night?

oh yeah..if any of you are heading up there i drive a black Toyota 4x4 double cab...give me a hollar....i plan on being there tomorrow night

·
Registered
391 Posts
I purchased mine at the store right by the dam.The first license is $20 and you get a stamp with it.You can use two rods with it. the next time you purchase a license(if you go again,and you probably will!!)you dont have to purchase the stamp(save your liscense)of course nobody told me that and i payed $20 twice.I know crawdad tails work well for the wiper and cats,but the first time i was up there i caught my cats on worms,and the bite was very late,between 2 and 5 in the morning.Have a great trip and be careful of the mud and sand,cost me $50 to get out last time.

lyn

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes you do need a park pass,it is $5.You may get at the store(not sure)i got mine at the enterance to Martin Bay(self pay).

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for the good info. does the store stay open past 6pm? i probably wont get there until around 7ish or so...im just wondering if i should buy my license online or not...

ill kep an eye open for the mud...im not too keen on getting stuck...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think its open till 8 but you can also get a license in town.There is a gas station on your right once you come down a hill into town.I know Hook&Line gets his there just incase they are out at the store by the dam.Good luck and post some pics so i can get motivated to drive down there again!!

lyn

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good, thanks again! ill be sure to bring the camera....

T

·
0 Posts
Got my license online. It's easy. Print and go. Had some friends that went out there and had problems getting it at the stores.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to report to you guys, just to clarify things incase you want to go...and thanks for the PMs with info on the subject, guys...

To fish in Nebraska you need to purchase a Nebraska 3 day out of state fishing license, in conjunction with a 5 dollar wildlife stamp...for a total of 20 dollars. to fish Big Mac you need to get at least a day pass, (for 3 dollars) and if you plan on staying the night at least a primitive camping pass...for myself, my truck, and one other guy it was 11 dollars.

WHERE TO BUY THE LICENSE---(other than the internet)

I went around town and couldnt find anywhere that sold licenses...we stopped at 3 larger gas stations and the grocery store (after being directed to all four places by people whom said you could buy a fishing license there---i thought it was some kind of joke the locals were playing on me...)

i finally headed out of town and came to a place called "The House of Bottles" gas station...its on the way out to the lake...and they sold me a license. This info might be useful and save you from running around town like a moron..learn from my pain, people. so, in all, 2 guys and a truck for a night of fishing cost...wow, $51.00 for the passes and licenses alone. no one said this sport was cheap....

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I didnt see this thread till now. I know i am late with the info but u can also exit big springs a few miles before ogallala exit where all the big trucks fuel up and get one there. You u can also get to the lake from that exit but i have never went to the lake that route.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts