Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'd like to hunt some turkey this year and get the wife started on the birds as well. I've only bow hunted in the SW corner of Colorado which was many years ago. I'm looking to see if there are options that are relatively cheap and a fair shot at getting into some birds and hear that Nebraska is both.
Anybody have a starting point other than the Nebraska game and fish? Any relatives with property or have hunted in a place in the past that you wouldn't mind giving some advice on? I'm not looking for anyone's spot, just some general thoughts and places to look into.
Thanks for any help you might offer!
Brett

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Lake Mac area has hundreds of turkey. You can legally hunt on the shores of Lake Mac with a bow.

I have personally seen a VERY large flock of turkey at the SWA in Ogallala. It's been a few years (I used to hunt rabbits there in the afternoons when I was fishing).

I got a tag once - figured it was a long drive and a lot of work for an expensive tag to fill when I could buy one at the store cheaper. :-\

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies , It gives me a place to start.. Has anybody hunted them in Deuel or Kieth counties ?

Thanks
Brett

·
Registered
189 Posts
You'll find turkeys along the North and South Platte Rivers and below the confluence in those counties.
Public access can be tough to get, but there are State Wildlife Areas that you can hunt.
If you go out early before season starts, you might get lucky and get permission to hunt private ground.
I was able to get access to a good farm along the North Platte River, but only after the farmer's relatives had a chance to get their turkey first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts