Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so lately whenever i get into my nissan the clutch pedal has no pressure. i have to pump the clutch for it to start working again. my brake fluid reservoir is full. from what i gathered from online research is that i have a leak somewhere which is allowing air into the hydraulic system??? does that sound right? if so, my question is this: whats the easiest way to find out where the leak is? i assume its really small and some tips on spotting it would be great. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,755 Posts
Not a Nissan jock, but the brake fluid reservoir has nothing to do with it, the clutch has a fluid reservoir of its own. Make sure it's filled up, if still low on pressure you are going to have to bleed the line, which I understand is hard to do on a Nissan. Might want to take it to a shop. (NOT the dealer, they charge Wheel of Fortune prices.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
x2 on the brake fluid reservoir being separate.

I'd look to bleed the line myself, you should see a fluid leak coming from somewhere.

Does your trans have a throwout bearing fork or is it an internal slave cylinder with lines running into the bellhousing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,193 Posts
I have a leak in my clutch (91 cherokee) I gave up trying to find and fix it. I have bled that system so many times, I think I could do it with my eyes closed.

My fix: fill the clutch cylinder, bleed the system, top off the reservoir every other week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Simple fix.

Replace both the clutch master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder.

Bleed it.

Done.

Do it yourself, spend the money you save on gear.

Go fishing.

See? Simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Landingnet said:
Simple fix.

Replace both the clutch master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder.

Bleed it.

Done.

Do it yourself, spend the money you save on gear.

Go fishing.

See? Simple.
lol sounds easier said than done. maybe ill take your advice though ;) only problem is im not a very mechanical guy lol.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
i agree with everyone else here, it always seems that if u replace the slave the master goes out, go firgure, your slave might be in te tranny but it might not be, dont do nissan personally but on the rangers its inside, i still would rather have a cable tranny over hydro anyday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,749 Posts
Landing net is right! 8) But, you should try to see what's up for yourself. First identify the clutch master. It's the one that isn't the brake master which is in front of the brake pedal and has two reseviours. Look at the fluid level, if its low then adding some clean brake fluid to the correct level just might let you pump up the clutch pedal and keep driving for a while. Follow the hydraulic line around from the clutch master if you are able and see if you can see fluid dripping from somewhere. You may have to crawl under the truck and look. Could just be a leaky clutch slave cylinder, which is a smaller job to fix if it's accessible.

Maybe you can find someone who has mechanical abilities to help you. (Maybe Landing net or one of your buddies who can turn a wrench needs some beer. Parts for this job are available at auto zone or Checker. It's not too tough a job if you know what you are doing but if you don't then it might not work out so well. :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the help everyone. its all fixed up! it wasnt as hard as i thought. ill be deleting this post in a day or so, but i wanted to thank you all first!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,877 Posts
GrumpieGills said:
i agree with everyone else here, it always seems that if u replace the slave the master goes out, go firgure, your slave might be in te tranny but it might not be, dont do nissan personally but on the rangers its inside, i still would rather have a cable tranny over hydro anyday.
With all the talk about masters and slaves and trannys and dripping fluids, I was beginning to wonder whether this was still a thread about a car..... >:D

.....especially so since FPF started it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,649 Posts
FPF said:
thanks for all the help everyone. its all fixed up! it wasnt as hard as i thought. ill be deleting this post in a day or so, but i wanted to thank you all first!
Well, what did you find, and how did you fix it. Might come in handy for someone else later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DozerF350 said:
FPF said:
thanks for all the help everyone. its all fixed up! it wasnt as hard as i thought. ill be deleting this post in a day or so, but i wanted to thank you all first!
Well, what did you find, and how did you fix it. Might come in handy for someone else later.
well like i said im not very good with cars, and im not knowledgeable at all about how the systems work. the only repairs ive ever done was brakes, a radiator, and regular oil changes. i thought the brake master cylinder also provided the fluid to the clutch. turns out the master cylinder for the clutch was just empty. filled it up, bled the line, everythings working great. i learn as my cars break. just another lesson i guess.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
still watch the level on the fill, sometimes the slave goes bad and if the slave is in the tranny (not sure on yours) it can leak on the inner housing and can get some on ur clutch disk or pressure plate allowing it to slip. glad u got it fixed, a while back in the paper a lady bought a new car, with this new car she thought that you had to add a court of oil everytime you filled your gas tank. well u can imagine what happened, she took it back to the dealer and they said it was locked up, when they took the valve cover off, the oil was so high it was covering the cam shafts ::) so dont feel dumb at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
you will be changing the master and slave/release cylinders.fluid level in master should never drop so there has to be a leak.also check hose from hard line to slave/release.that also could be the problem.both cylinders should be changed at the same time.trust me i am a professional for over 35 years if you have any questions you can pm me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SAGETROUT said:
you will be changing the master and slave/release cylinders.fluid level in master should never drop so there has to be a leak.also check hose from hard line to slave/release.that also could be the problem.both cylinders should be changed at the same time.trust me i am a professional for over 35 years if you have any questions you cam pm me
ok cool. hopefully its a small leak and i wont have to change them for some time...... i really dont want to change those myself.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
its not fun, if u have any other questions about anyhting please let me know, u can PM me, i can try and help out as much as i can, im not a professional mechanic but ive been working on car and been around them my whole life, starting to get into the whole drifting thing now ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SAGETROUT said:
you will be changing the master and slave/release cylinders.fluid level in master should never drop so there has to be a leak.also check hose from hard line to slave/release.that also could be the problem.both cylinders should be changed at the same time.trust me i am a professional for over 35 years if you have any questions you can pm me
thanks man!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GrumpieGills said:
its not fun, if u have any other questions about anyhting please let me know, u can PM me, i can try and help out as much as i can, im not a professional mechanic but ive been working on car and been around them my whole life, starting to get into the whole drifting thing now ;D
awesome. thanks!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top