Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Need a lightweight fly reel..

2K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  irish 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the White River equipment? I have not. I believe it is BPS product? Pros or cons?

This is one of the lightest reels I have come across:

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-...duct/1112290501111/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

This is another option but a bit more spendy:

http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-us/products/reels/classic-reels/lightweight-reels/

I need a lightweight reel to balance a 3wt for the GF. It is the Greys Streamflex XF2 7' (maybe 7'6") Cannot remember for sure. The reel I bought for it is too heavy(4.6oz).

If you have any suggestions for a lightweight reel please feel free to pass it on to me.

I think any reel under 3oz should balance the rod well. Would like to avoid plastic reels.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#4 ·
I agree with both of ya, that the White River looks nice and for the price...not bad.

That White River reel looks pretty neat. The other one to check out is the Orvis Battenkill click pawl.
I have looked at it and some reviews have not been favorable compared to the original Battenkill C&P. They apparently have made changes to it that fisherman have not agreed with. :confused:

Have you tried the "new' version out?

I have read about the older Pflueger's and seems that they were a nice reel but cannot find one. The new ones appear to be mostly plastic and cheaply made. :confused:

#9 ·
On this rod 4.6oz is too heavy. I put about 4-5ft of line out the tip of the rod and it balances towards the back of the cork handle. Being a short rod and heavy reel makes it that much harder for a beginner to cast. It makes you want to "break" the wrist and flip it, over exaggerating the casting motion. If that makes sense. I don't like that feeling.

Now that Galvan is a nice reel. I own a Galvan and love that reel. Bought it back in the late 90's.

I looked at them but never saw the Brookie.... a bit pricey for a line holder(since this will be used on small creeks and ponds) but will take a closer look at it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate it.

#10 ·
If you can find a Waterworks Purist P1, it's a wonderful click pawl reel that I used to have on a Scott G-series 3 wt. Weighed under 3 oz. I see that they're quite proud of them these days if you buy new. They are discontinued as well ... jeez, you'd think they'd be a bit cheaper if they were discontinued. Maybe a used one would work.

Good luck!

Dogwood

#12 ·
I think cheapo fly reels are cool... chinese or not. They pretty much just hold line, so as long as the drag is decent, any one will do.

Chuckphlem has shimano tattood on his ass... but hates on the Chinese? Shameful... SHAMEFUL I TELL YOU!

#13 ·
#15 ·
Lurker, go down to the Eagle Claw company store and check out the Fly Girl Damsel Fly Reel by Wright & McGill. I'm not a fly fisherman but hear they are very nice. You could PM Nancy(fishingal) and she can tell you how these reels are for a woman or PM hammer here who would also be able to answer any questions. Here are some links on them...

http://www.wright-mcgill.com/fly-girl-damsel-fly-reel

http://www.bobwards.com/EAGLE CLAW-...105&kid=905866&gid=047708667562?ad=4504269044
I had never seen those before, but after looking they appear pretty nice.

I'd say they're in the right weight and price range too.

#18 ·
You will like the Streamflex. It is a real sleeper rod here in the US. Not many know about it. A premium rod at a low cost.

#25 · (Edited)
:D:D

Dont mess with it Carlton- These guys freekin' uplay with thier their reels while they are sitting on the toilet! They have it in their pockets when they go to work-::)

If the reel gets cold they shove it up their ass! I think thats called being ANAL or something-:D:D

#28 ·
Lightweight Reel

I like my Cabela's Wind River Fly Reel, Model 1, that I use with my Eagle Claw Featherlight FL300-6’6", 5 WT. line. VG balance.

Features:

•  Die-cast/machined-aluminum frame and spool
    • V-cut arbor spool
    • Smooth Rulon drag
Our most affordable fly reels do more than just hold line, they boast features you’d expect to find in more expensive models. The large Rulon® disc drag delivers smooth braking performance to cushion charging fish. Cast-aluminum construction has a strong, lightweight structure. V-cut spool seats line evenly.

It's actually a mid-arbor design.

Current sale price: $19.99.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.