Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of years I would set my boat up for winter storage once and leave it at the outside storage area for the winter, the usual take out the batteries, cover it real good, make sure no water in bilges etc...This year I'm planning on fishing PLO a little longer. Checked my lower end gear oil last week and there was no water in there so not worried about that. Last month or so I've been leaving my four stroke motor down so water can drain. I leave the drain plug out and don't have any noticeable water in the bilge and usually just flick on my bilge pump and live well pump for a couple of seconds. With temps going in the teens and lower 20's here in Springs the next couple of nights just wondering if I'm missing anything. Should I be concerned if there's any residual water in the pumps, motor or live well hoses? Thanks in advance folks.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I just Lower the motor drain the water give it a quick start stop to blow out.
Just make sure it’s pissing when you get it back in the water.
If your worried about pumps freezing pour a little rv anti freeze in the bilge and live well.
That’s never been a big problem for me, yah they freeze up but thaw once back in the water.

·
Registered
16,634 Posts
I keep my boat in my pole barn. It's unheated. I have fished Plo and Lonetree in January/February and go from the lake to the pole barn and never have a problem.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You will be OK by what you're doing.
Easy freeze prevention by simply lowering the outboard to let it drain is the biggest advantage over I.O's IMO.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
when you come off the lake you raise the motor, then at inspection you lower it till it stops draining, then you raise it again each time a little water drains out you are good to go . at home I don't do anymore till the temps get down to the teens or lower a tiny bit of water anywhere in your boat wont hurt anything at the single digits I put a heat lamp on the lower unit at night incase I picked up some line in the seal. that is the only place in your boat that might get hurt. I have never had trouble in my pumps if they freeze it hasn't hurt them since 1993. I put my batteries on charge as soon as I get home as I might go again the next day as long as they have a charge in them they wont freeze. think about your car in subzero temps the battery wont freeze if it is charged up

I have heard of guys who put their motor up to come out of the water and headed home and had the lower unit crack before they got to springs but that was before inspections twice up and down and you will be OK

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I did it my way.
Motor up at dock to load on trailer.
Motor down to drain while prepping boat for travel/inspection. Drained, no freezing.
Motor up to go to inspection.
Motor down for inspection.
Motor up to travel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts