Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i am new to this site and would love some feed back about fishing around ft. collins i really have only fished for trout in n.w. colorado few pike and bass in there buut having real troubles catching anything around would love to learn how to bass and walleye fish. or just some pointers my buddy and i go out alot and no luck SINCE march at carter bait fishing for trout i haven't evenn got a nibble from horsetooth and tried the riverbend ponds. I love to fish although due to the military which i am now out of and life happening juust getting back into this year due to the suupport of my new beuutiful wife but it is getting real aggravating getting skuunked day in and day out i do not have a boat so its workink boot exspress for me but thats part of the joy n-e-ways thannks for reading and i look forward to posting some pics of my rennewed joy of the great colorado outdoors
p.s. good luck,be safe & responsible and dont forget to teach to child to fish it could change there life as it did mine.-

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
hi if u want to catch trout i;d go back to carter and drive past it there a lake called flatiron ive always caught trout there and never got skunked or pinewood or lon hagler hope that helps

·
0 Posts
Wellington #4 will usually get you a trout or two. You might also try the Poudre river. Go to the bait areas and fish with worms or fireballs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know what distance you consider "close," but I always recommend Red Feather lakes (Dowdy or West); bait will almost always catch a lot, and flies or spinners work well too. The lakes are about an hour's drive from Ft. Collins. Unfortunately, right now, the lakes have bloomed with algae and there is a lot of scum by the shore; still, if you can cast past it, and don't mind having to clean off your lure or fly every so often, you can catch a few. In the evening, the scum seems to accumulate closest to shore, so it's fairly easy to cast over it. Good luck.

·
Registered
636 Posts
MeandMyDog,
There is a bait shop called Discount Fishing Tackle on College you can check out. They have a little pamphlet that shows all the local fishing holes and it is free. For trout i would recommend pinewood, or flatiron. Carter and Horsetooth for walleyes. Don't forget about Prospect Ponds across from Riverbend Ponds and then there is also Sheldon Lake in the city park if you want stocker trout. There is a great place for smallmouths which some people wish to keep secret so you have to find that one out. It starts with a "W". If you drive up north to Wellington there is Wellington #4, Smith, and Douglas. If you drive south, there is Lake Loveland (south end), Boyd, Lon Hagler, Lonetree, and Boedecker which has some nice cats coming out so far. Last but not least, head out west for some fishing on the Poudre River or Red Feather Lakes. There are a few more small places but this should give you a lot of options. Good luck and welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
WELCOME! THIS IS A GREAT FORUM. i live in In the ft.collins lovland area,

i have done well at hagler for trout doesnt seem to matter what side of the lake
on worms and spinners. i have caught lrg. mouth bass at lake lovland at the inlet
across from the kids pond on tube jigs, as well as a few walleye and catfish from the same location. i keep a cat pole in the water at all times. off of hwy 402 in loveland is my favorite ponds, think they are called simpsons, i have pulled some nice bass out of there, my largest so far this yr. was 17 3/4 in but most are 15 or under, right now with maybe the exeption of lone tree everwere i have fished has been great. oh! i caught some bull head in jayhawker ponds (taft and first)
and i have been doing good in the upper portions of the purdre, not had any good trips up the thompson but it will get good soon to. hope this helps and welcome to a great forum.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have seen a lot of trout caught recently at Smith Lake and Wellington 4, both just West of Wellington, North of Fort Collins (not too far). Dowdy Lake (Red Feather), about 45 min. north of Fort Collins (287 to Livermore, turn left, drive many miles until you see the sign for Dowdy on Right).

You could take a chance on wipers at Douglas Lake, 8 miles north of Fort Collins, but with the lake volume way up this year due to filling the reservoir higher than usual, the fish are spread out and fishing is hit or miss. I've caught a few small to intermediate walleye, a few more nice wipers, but mostly hoards of trout out there this year, and shore fishing near the boat ramp and along dam are possible (elsewhere newly submerged vegetation makes shore fishing a recipe for line snags).

Smith and Wellington 4 also have catfish and some nice wipers. Smith also has a few nice Walleye left in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts