Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to plan a trip for my husband and I next year in Colorado for a week. Fish 4 or 5 days. Prefer to stay in one town. Preferably a smaller town. Will get guides for 2 or 3 days fish on our own for 2 days. Where would be a good central location.
Thank you

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
What time of year will you be coming? Do you want strictly trout? Is there anything other than fly fishing you want to be near?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We will most likely come in July. Only trout I am intermediate and my husband is advance. Would prefer to walk to restaurants at night. Most likely would rent a home. Could possible do 3 nights in one town 4 nights in another. Living for montana in a week. Staying in Livingston. Last year we stayed in Ennis Montana and fished only the Madison for 4 days. Would Ike to float maybe 1 or 2 days

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
In July you will be fighting the end of runoff a bit. Because of that, I would chose later rather than earlier in July. The hopper bite on the Arkansas river is absolutely amazing in July. The town of Salida is beautiful and there are tons of things to do within walking distance or biking (everyone bikes/rafts in Salida). The fish are not huge in this area but 30+ fish days on big dry flies are not uncommon. You are also a one hour drive from South Park where you can get into larger fish on the South Platte. This area is tougher fishing but there are some tanks. You are also a one hour drive to the Gunnison River and the Rio Grande. Staying in Gunnison or South Fork, CO is great. Gunnison is more walk friendly than South Fork as a town. There are great breweries in both Salida and Gunnison and the prices are a tad better than the northern towns near the Frying Pan and such.

Floating the Arkansas during the hopper bite is as fun and relaxing as it gets in my opinion. The water is clear and the canyon is pretty. Splashing big dries to the edges of the river never gets old and the city of Salida is almost as nice as the river. Hope you guys have fun.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
What about Almont, or I think it's called Woodland Park ?

Almont is north of Gunnison by about 10 miles... If you want fun little town with bars and restaurants, don't stay in Almont, stay in Gunnison. Almont is basically a fishing village with 2-3 resorts. It's great, but no quality restaurants or bars. It does have one restaurant with a bar in it at the Almont or three rivers resort.. but it's not really what I would call a fun area outside of the fishing. It is gorgeous though...and the fishing is good. The Gunnison river is a bit tougher to fish, but the fish are bigger than the Arkansas. There is also a tailwater up the canyon that holds some of the biggest fish in the state, but it's a zoo.... combat fishing for huge fish on 6x-7x with size 24-28 flies.. if that's your thing.

While I love that area, I still prefer Salida. It's an hour and 20 min to Amont from Salida and so you can fish there pretty easy. That said, doing both isn't a bad idea.

Woodland Park is just 20 min from Colorado Springs. It's close to the South Platte river (which is stunning in 11 mile Canyon) and it's close to some great lakes. The problem with Woodland park is you are fishing only tailwaters. Tailwaters are fun, but taking a float is what fly fishing in CO is all about IMO.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What he said! The Gunnison, Taylor, Rio Grande, Arkansas, and South Platte will provide more fishing than you can cram into a week...

In July you will be fighting the end of runoff a bit. Because of that, I would chose later rather than earlier in July. The hopper bite on the Arkansas river is absolutely amazing in July. The town of Salida is beautiful and there are tons of things to do within walking distance or biking (everyone bikes/rafts in Salida). The fish are not huge in this area but 30+ fish days on big dry flies are not uncommon. You are also a one hour drive from South Park where you can get into larger fish on the South Platte. This area is tougher fishing but there are some tanks. You are also a one hour drive to the Gunnison River and the Rio Grande. Staying in Gunnison or South Fork, CO is great. Gunnison is more walk friendly than South Fork as a town. There are great breweries in both Salida and Gunnison and the prices are a tad better than the northern towns near the Frying Pan and such.

Floating the Arkansas during the hopper bite is as fun and relaxing as it gets in my opinion. The water is clear and the canyon is pretty. Splashing big dries to the edges of the river never gets old and the city of Salida is almost as nice as the river. Hope you guys have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if we wanted to fish the upper Arkansas river, the animas River, and the gunnison river, the gold medal sections or even the frying pan. Would the town of gunnison or Salida be a good central point? And what would you recommend to hire a guide to float and what would you recommend for us to go by ourselves to wade fish and would we be able to find out where to go we don't mind hiking to places. Do you have a favorite outfitter. Sorry for so many questions. I know we can't do it all in one trip

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I would think not.

The Animas is about 4hrs +/- from Gunny.

The Ark (at Salida) is about an hr from Gunny. This is doable. And floating the Gunny around Almont down to Blue Mesa is a good idea(couple different sections to float). There are public access points on the Gunny for wading and do it yourself fishing. From Gunny you can hit some high country streams or lakes with some hiking involved. And also Taylor was mentioned, which is a technical river to fish with some trophy sized slimers that is about 12-20 miles(different public access points along the way) from Gunny.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
So if we wanted to fish the upper Arkansas river, the animas River, and the gunnison river, the gold medal sections or even the frying pan. Would the town of gunnison or Salida be a good central point? And what would you recommend to hire a guide to float and what would you recommend for us to go by ourselves to wade fish and would we be able to find out where to go we don't mind hiking to places. Do you have a favorite outfitter. Sorry for so many questions. I know we can't do it all in one trip
The Gunnison and Arkansas and Taylor are all doable from one location (that being Gunnison or Salida). The Animas or Frying pan would have to be done unto themselves as they are too far.

The Basalt area is amazing, but more expensive and usually a bit more crowded. That said, can't go wrong with the fishing in that area.

You mentioned that you may consider 2 locations to stay. If you have a full week, I would definitely stay in Gunnison or Salida (I prefer the town of Salida) and then move on to Basalt or Durango.

As for guides, Arkanglers in Salida has excellent floats with great guides. Gene Taylor's would be my recommendation in Gunnison.

·
Registered
253 Posts
From your post on your Photobucket thread- "Just another reason to quit posting I guess"

I have a Photobucket account too and have shared your frustrations.

You are a testy one today! Maybe you can find a snake in order to appease your aggravation? :smile:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts