Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have fished for wiper awhile on spinning gear but never have pursued them on the fly rod so i need some advice.

I have a 6wt redington nti and a orvis battenkill large arbor reel and 6wt wf advantage line is that a good setup for this?

what kind of leader should I use(how long)?
what kinda flies(color and size)?
stripping tecnique?

as you can see not very knowledgable when it comes to wiper on the fly rod, I do a lot of trout fishing but this is whole new game.
thanks in advance ;D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
check out my post about a technique I just developed.  I fish a lot of whiper and have been with people trying to do it on a 6 wt and it just doesn't work in most cases. I use a 9 weight T3 most of the time with a mach V reel. Sometimes however, I will use my 7 weight for no reason other then to get more play out of the fish. 

The flies I typically throw are big, heavy, wind resistant topwaters, deceivers, half and half's bunny flies etc. My flies are on 2/0-4/0 hooks. I usually am throwing flies no shorter then 6 inches. It seems rediculous but when you see one of thes flies in a 10 pound hybrids mouth it looks bite size.  color depends on conditions...I try to match the color scheme of the baitfish but have ultimately realized profile and action of a fly are far more important then color schemes.  I also like to tie my flies with rattles built in to them. 

Leaders: I used to think a short leader was fine for hybrids.  However, I have noticed that as I change flies a few times and my leader gets trimmed down from 9 feet down to around 7, my hook ups greatly decrease.  As soon as I ajoin another piece of 0X tippet my hook ups increase in times of frequent actions. 

As for stripping techniques, I can't emphasize enough how important variety is.  So many people just get into a rythm of casting and stripping in the same mannor with little production.  You have to experiment.  Some days, it seems like I can't strip fast enough when fish are super aggressive (those are fun days!). Other times, especially early season when water is below 55 slow often is the ticket.  What you really want to do is make your fly seem very erratic, panicked or wounded.  I will cast let my fly settle, then make 3 quick 7 inch strips and then jurk my rod to either direction causing the fly to change directions. After this I will let the fly pause.  BOTTOM LINE: make your fly stand out from the naturals.

My final suggestion would be to give yourself a fair chance and fish on days proven to be productive.  Fishing for wiper really makes you a constant weather observer.  Any time the barometric pressure falls below 30 is a good start.  Second, you want to pay attention to the wind direction over the course of several days.  on the front range, the wind most often is out of the southwest.  For this reason, the early season action often is on the downwind side of the lake because the wind causes the warm surface water to stacks up on the down wind side. Finally as in most species, overcast days (usually associated with low pressure and wind) mixed with a little rain tend to be fantastic.  Once these systems role out however, you can all but scratch the next day or so of hybrid fishing from your calander once the high pressure system pushes out the low pressure system. 

Sorry for the lengthy post but I hope it was informative.  Jsut keep fishing for them, and you will begin to find very consistant feeding and behavioral patterns that you can take to the bank!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Clouser minnows to begin with, zonkers, and poppers work as flies. 6wt might be a little under geared but will work, I use a 7wt and generate a lot of surprise from people who use 8wts. If you have ever wolly buggered for trouy in lakes use a simalr strip. I have used leaders from 4ft. to 8 ft. 8 to 14lb test. Blue and silvers for colors just to start, remember to exerpiment.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the post what rod would you suggest? I can sling the nti like its nobodys biz. I have a 4wt and a 12wt i still need to buy a 8wt and 10wt for my trip to mexico.

thanks again

oh yeah what size flies would you use?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would go with 8wt fast action, buck the wind better. And perfer about 3 inch clousers. I shot a moderate/fast St.croix avid, just wish got faster action for tighter loops but it works.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use a 9 wt TFO Professional series for fishing for striper's in Texas..."Lake Texoma" Its a great rod that you don't have to worry about throwing in the back of the truck....There hard to beat because of the great warrantee and price and the feel. A 9wt is probably a bit of an over kill for wipers... I use my 7wt JPross fly rod when hunting for wipers... Here are some useful websites for you that talk about fly selection and stripers and wipers fishing in general... I use the same shad flies for hunting stripers and wipers... 1/0 – 4/0 hooks and 4 to 12 inch flies… email me for a pic…
www.stripersonline.com and www.stripers247.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts