Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a boat that needs some small holes sealed . when they took off the sonar and transducer can anybody that knows about boats please help me trying to get it on the water to fish with my grandkids.
what sealing do you's recommend for it and want to seal the transom here's some pictures and can I use metal primer like rust- oleum spray cans to spay the inside of the boat

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've used White Marine Tex on both fiber glass as well as aluminum and porcelain. Follow the instructions carefully and clean up as you go, when this stuff hardens it is like steel.

Possibly one of the Flex Seal products but not sure on aluminum with that.
Bill

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Marine epoxy... maybe JB Weld (check waterproof)... temp. quick fix, exterior silicone caulk. Clean and lightly sand area first for all.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used White Marine Tex on both fiber glass as well as aluminum and porcelain. Follow the instructions carefully and clean up as you go, when this stuff hardens it is like steel.

Possibly one of the Flex Seal products but not sure on aluminum with that.
Bill

thanks anteroman

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
3M 5200 is what you use for the holes where old transducer was mounted. It’s slow drying but really sturdy stuff. Fast drying version works well too, possibly a little less robust over the long haul. You want to use a sealer like on your screws when mounting a transducer on your transom. Better yet, mount a high density plastic cutting board onto transom and then you can mount transducers onto that. Then you can upgrade fishfinders every so often and don’t have to drill any more holes into your transom.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
The seams can be sealed with a product like Gluvit. I’ve not used this product but Hobie mentioned that he used it on his project boat last year. Sounds like the right tool for the job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts