Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved here recently from wisconsin and brought my boat with. I just fished chatfield last year and it drove me crazy with all of the people. I'm looking for some help on new water this year, as I like to troll for trout and fish walleyes, also would like a good panfish lake to go to. Wipers are a fish i'm not to familiar with, looks like pueblo is the place for them?? Help needed fellow anglers

D

·
0 Posts
Pueblo, Bonny, Nee Noshe, Nee Gronde, North Sterling, Glendo, Horsetooth, Granby, lake John, the Delaney Buttes, Blue Mesa, Twin, Turquoise, Eleven Mile, Brush Hollow, Trinidad, Martin Lake, Horseshoe, and Spinney --- to name a few within your distance limitations. Another hour or two gets you to some really good water in west central and northern Kansas and southwest Nebraska.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Don pretty much covered most of the lakes for what you are looking for. I would add Jackson Res for wiper and Lake McConaghy in Neb for Walleye.

You can get to McConaghy in 4 hours from the Metro area.

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
McConaghy is a great catfish and wiper fishery too.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
4-5 hours just about covers the whole state and quit a bit of western side of Kansas. With that amont of time for travel I don't think you should have any trouble getting away from Chatfield. Oh yea you have quit a bit of southern Wyoming.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Chatfield wasn't bad for us (wife/I) at all last year. We would get there around 8AM on either Saturday or Sunday and be in the "No Wake" area by 8:30. We put three rods in the water with Canadian Nightcrawlers on them. We were fishing in 35-45 feet of water most of the summer. So, how did we do? In July, August and the first weekend of Sept. we got a 19" and 18 1/2" Brown Trout and a number of Rainbows in the 15" area. We were happy.
Yes, a lot of people do get on Chatfield, but we were getting off of the lake during the time a lot of people were getting on it.
This year, were are thinking about "venturing out" to Sterling and possibly going to Bonny Lake. But, we will still hit Chatfield sometimes.
Our boat is a fishing/ski boat type, so we can not put it on smaller bodies of water.
Cowboyfisherman (Cody)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
The key to CF. is fish it @ night. We caught 100's of smallies at night along with some walleyes.

Sleep all day while the skier types are out there and get to the lake around 10 and fish thru the night. Nice and relaxing. Im single so it was no problem, maybe a prob for some who are married or involved,

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Jay when evening comes around my wife can't wait to get me out of the house. 6 to 7 hours is all she can handle after that my well being is in jeopardy. I did really well on the Smallies last yaer also .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts