Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to this forum and in search of someone that can help me out, I want to do a backpack fly fishing trip where I'm in the backcountry with no trails or campsites fly fishing and eating what I catch, camping wherever for 5 days or so, where could I do something like this if even possible? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
No trails? Wind River Mountains in Wyoming-

And after awhile you'll be wishing for a trail-

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Just pick literally any wilderness with lakes that are not on a trail. You better have good orienteering skills because back country with no trails is dense, slow going, frustrating, and disorienting.

No trail is usually a sign of poor fishing ;)

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Haha..bushwhacking sucks! If there was an easier way to get to a lake, that's where the trail would be. The trail is where it is...because that is the easy way. And as said...almost all high mountain lakes in Colorado ...with fish...have a trail. If you're willing to drive some miles to southwestern Colorado..I know the perfect trip you could take. Five days...five lakes..It would make for a fantastic backpacking trip and you won't see too many people at all.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Beaver creek below Skagway. Bring your mtn lion, bear and rattlesnake repellant. No trail for about 8 of 10 miles. Small creek. Decent fishing for small trout. I did some research but never hiked more than a mile or two from each access. Has potential.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Me and my buddy Rodger hiked/fished Beaver Creek from end to end with a two car shuttle back in the eighties. The fishing was below average at best...small browns.. and pretty non-existent the last four miles. Between the rocks and boulders, the jungle of overgrowth and having to traverse/scramble up, down and around numerous obstacles...I wouldn't have done it then if I'd known what I knew after the hike ... and I'd never send anyone there that I liked. Other than the old power plant...that was kinda cool.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Backpacking, most fly anglers I've seen come dressed like they are going for a Lunar landing, might as well take a moonbuggy to transport all the junk!

·
Registered
239 Posts
You want trails my friend. There is nothing worse than busting brush. Add in the ticks in some areas and you'll be wishing for sidewalks before the day is done. I look for any trail, even a rabbit path to crawl on while bow hunting. If busting brush is what you like then follow the words of Tangler. Good luck and don't poke your eye out. lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Fossil Ridge Wilderness area has some really quality cutthroat and a great brook trout lake. While there are trails, they are very lightly used as the Gunnison area is not nearly as well-known as many other areas across the Centennial State.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are a ton of places to do this in Colorado. Every year my buddy and I choose a high mountain lake to backpack into and every year I get more frustrated that I wouldn't be able to hit all the spots we want to if I had 2 lifetimes. Don't restrict yourself to 100% off trail all the time. There are a bunch of places where you can start on a well used trail branch off to a little used trail and finish up with some bushwacking. We hit a lake a couple years ago that has a trail for much of it, but then fizzles out and you try to stay on elk trails the rest of the way. I doubt the lake sees more than a half dozen people all year if that.

The collegiates, san juans, holy cross wilderness, grand mesa, flattops, etc all have places you can disappear.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
A lot of great info given out for other members seeking the same... :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts