Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since no one is on the water today, well except our forum host Don. I wonder how cold he is about now. ;D - oh he is probably warm sitting by the fire, I see it was canceled.

What are your favorite lakes in Colorado?

My favorites:
Lake Trout, Granby but there are too many little ones these days.
Rainbow, Eleven Mile.
Walleye, does Wyoming count, Glendo. Colorado - Bonny.
Wipers, Lonetree
Small Mouth, Chatfield
Pike, Williamsfork
Catfish only caught a few at Chatfield.
Others???

Terre

·
Registered
804 Posts
Lake Trout: Blue Mesa (Gunnison)
Brook : Leon (Grand Mesa)
Rainbow: Vega (Grand Mesa)
Cutthroat: Trappers (Flat Tops)
Brown: Elevenmile (South Park)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Here goes:

Pike-11 Mile, Sanchez and Martin (its a sleeper)
Smallmouth-Navajo
Largemouth-Trinidad
Catfish-Navajo
Trout-Spinney, Mt Elbert Forebay and Pueblo in the winter (its a sleeper)
Wiper-Pueblo (of course)
Best place to watch girls in bikinis-Pueblo

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed, Ouray,

Geez, either everyone is really secretive about which lakes they like or else everyone is out fishing in the snow afterall.

Ed. I fished Mt. Elbert forebay once about 15 years ago. Do you fish from shore or a small boat? We fished from a canoe, before electronics changed my way of life. As I remember we caught a few small lake trout, but maybe I need to give it a try again - with my portable fish finder.

I haven't fished Navajo, I like to try a couple new lakes each year. Its kind of far for a weekend though. I would like to get up to Flaming Gorge this year also.

Oruay, I love brookies but mostly fish for them in streams. There is nothing quite like a plate full of brook trout, eggs, and hash browns for breakfast when your camping.

I fished Blue Mesa one weekend several years ago, we caught quite a few rainbow and a couple Kokanee. We didn't really try to catch the "big" lake trout the lake is now famous for. Next time I will!

Thanks,

Terre

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
OURAY said:
Brook : Leon (Grand Mesa)
Rainbow: Vega (Grand Mesa)
Ouray, caught several brookies at leon last year that approached 20", including a football fat 3.5 pound 19 incher. Fishing at leon was slower last year with 8-10 being average, but the SMALLEST brookie we got in two trips measured 14". They are the best eating brookies in the world, ORANGE meat. We are taking our personal pontoon boats out on their this year and we are going to troll the weedlines 8) I wouldn't be surprised to land a 4 or 5 pounder.
I never liked vega that much until I icefished it this year. In years past, we would catch hundreds of tiny 8-12" fish in a day. This year though, the average fish was 16-18", with the largest being landed nearly 25". It wasn't 100 a day though, more like 10, but those were great fish!
BTW, don't know if you went out to highline today, I did for about an hour. I knew with the wind it would be awful in my personal pontoon boat, but I still went. Tried for a little bit in the sticks on the north end, obviously with no success.

My favorite lakes:
Brookies: Leon lake (grand mesa) 15" average last year, 13" average in past years. Plenty of 17"+ fish, and the best eating brookies around.
Cutthroat: Tough to say. Used to be Y&S with its 3-5 pound cutthroat (and rare rainbow) feeding off of shrimp. But it got destroyed by the drought :'( Now it is probably butts lake on the grand mesa.
Rainbow trout: I really am more of a river fisherman, but for lakes, no lake produces more large rainbow trout than juniata reservoir. It is stocked with roughly 1000 rainbows every two years by the DOW, and their growth rate is over 7" a year according to local biologist. If you hit this lake during the "boom" when there are still fair numbers of them, they average 18". Seen a 12# landed out of here by my bro, and last fall using a crocodile for walleye I caught a 24" 7# rainbow. HUGE rainbows but need to be released, even though they are tasty. (juniata is a city of grand junction water reservoir)
Brown trout: Blue mesa. Catch many nice ones here in the spring throwing spoons and cranks.
Lake trout: Ruedi Reservoir. Great numbers of small ones, and besides blue mesa has the most big ones left of any colorado lake.
Largemouth bass: Tough one. Jerry Creek Reservoir #1 for numbers, (50 bass days common), and Connected Lakes for size. Broke off a HUGE bass last year there. Caught them up to nearly 6 pounds in both places.
Smallmouth bass: Juniata Reservoir. Has some real marble eyes. Got them up to about 3.5 pounds here.
Walleye: Juniata Reservoir. Good numbers of 15-20" fish, and have seen a 10# and a 7# caught here by my brother. My personal biggest is only 25.5", 5# though.
Bluegill: Jerry Creek reservoir #1. 10"+ bluegills up the wazoo. Enough said.
Crappie: Crawford (delta county I believe)
Northern Pike: Taylor Park Reservoir. Crawford is #2.
Yellow Perch: Crawford, EXTREME numbers of perch, and now that the pike have been in there for a while, some can get big. Caught many over 12" this ice season.
Catfish: Rio Blanco. Near meeker, by the white river. Catch good numbers while icefishing off of dead baits and fair numbers while fishing for pike off of crankbaits.

Overall best lakes for medium sized game fish, such as trout, walleye, bass is juniata reservoir. See above information.
Overall best panfish lake: Harvey Gap Reservoir. Good numbers of 6-11" yellow perch, 6-9" bluegill, 8-10" crappie.

I hope that post isn't too long ;D I'm not worried about giving out this info though. MOST PEOPLE WILL get skunked fishing juniata for a long time before it starts paying off. When you learn it, it is a fishing heaven.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm kinda more into those high mountain trout lakes, myself.  I like Mitchell Lake in Indian Peaks.  Woodland Lake and Skyscraper Reservoir up the Hessie Trail are good for big cutthroats.  Joe Wright Reservoir is a fun change for grayling.  

·
Registered
314 Posts
It has been so long since I have fished regularly, I can no longer name names for the most part. But, I used to have the following favorites:

Brook Trout: La Jara Reservoir (around 1990)

Cutthroat: A high country lake above Platoro Reservoir called Blue Lake.. About a 5 mile hike straight up hill. Monster fish in crystal clear water.

Rainbow: Gunnison (floating through the black canyon); Conejos river

Brown: Rio Grand River

Bass: Not enough experience.

Catfish: Pueblo

Wiper and smallmouth: Still a virgin!!

Splake: Parvin (redfeathers) I only caught one ever.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hey Neal-All I catch at Spinney are hammer handle pike.  Whats your secret.  Ed

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
We used to get alot of Pike in the 28-32" range, not monsters but decent fish. Since they starved out the Pike, the small and mid range fish are far less numerous :mad: Lake is alot healthier now though!

Snap jigging plastics. AT 11-mile the last two years, I have caught a couple swimming a black flipping jig and pork trailer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rainbows SPINNEY

Browns N. Delaney

Walleye J. Martin (when it had water) :(

Crappie Blue, Nee grande, Nee Noshe, Queens (when they all had water) :(

Wipers Almost a virgin.

White Bass Blue

Those S.E. lakes were hard to beat in their heyday. :mad:

E

·
0 Posts
Chatfield is my fave for walleye in the Metro area
Cherry Creek a close second, but ya gotta know the tricks!
Glendo in Wyoming is the best Walleye lake nearby for size and easy fishing
Seminoe for numbers of walleye, but sizes are not usually averaging as large as Glendo
Pueblo for a mixed bag! Wiper, Walleye, Smallies, and yes, even trout... ::)
Blue Heron is fantastic for largemouths from the bank with soft plastic grubs!
Stearns used to be a great place to catch Muskies...but i haven't heard or seen anything from there for years...anyone know anything about that one?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Here's where I go:

bass: pueblo Res. or private pond

wiper: prewitt (must find new place) maybe Union.

catfish: prewitt :( hopefully Barr will replace

trout: deckers

walleye: still looking

bluegill: stalker lake (wouldn't recommend the drive, but the size is awesome)

muskie/pike: virgin

·
Registered
943 Posts
lakers; big creek pretty not lots of people
brookies: sylvan i love that lake especially ice fishing
catfish: have not found
bass: private pond in hugo
rainbows:aurora

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
My favorite lake is Creedmore (in Red Feathers). I'm camping at Dowdy, thats always good. I fished the night before. Whatever time it is we arrive, the site is right on the lake, so you have to fish. I've already caught fish. Come on, it's Dowdy. Anyway, there's no pressuer to catch (I already have). Even if I don't catch, it's just a matter of driving to another lake (there's alot around there). Besides all that, it's a beatiful area, a gorgeous drive, a short senic walk, and an almost always secluded lake. The fish there are suckers for flys. My wife, and I were catching them pretty much every cast the last time I was there. If you fish for trout, and haven't been there. It's time to make the trip. :)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I like Twin Lakes and San Isabel, this will probably change this year as I plan on hitting a whole bunch of lakes in Colorado this year. But those are the two I mainly go two when I want to get away.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I forgto to mention San Isabel! I grew up fishing that lake with my family, and never worried about eating fish from polluted water. Biggest fish I caught was a 3 pound brown. But I hear it can get crowded now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts