Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a self taught fisherman and would love to learn a bit more about walleyes. i have done a pretty good job of figuring out trout and bass but am struggling with walleye. i know colorado doesnt have the best walleye fishing out there but i have managed to catch a few so i know it can be done. i would like to know more about what i am doing though. i live in northern colorado and have a nice fishing boat. if there is anyone out there who wants to do a good deed and teach a fella to fish then let me know. i fish horsetooth and carter lakes a lot and hear the walleye fishing can be good there at times.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Both Carter and Horsetooth hold great Walleye population. Don't be surprised to pull in a 30" or 10 pounder some time. Check out the North chapter of the Colorado Walleye assoc at www.cwaonline.net they meet at Bennets tackle in Loveland.

I have heard that most guys are pitching jigs with minnows of a curly tail on it in rocky areas and shallow areas. If fishing at night go to the same areas and fish with a Husky Jerk or x-rap in mostly natural colors. Work it with a stop and go motion and don't be afraid to let it sit 10-20 seconds.

Goodluck and Welcome to Colorado Fisherman

JT

·
Registered
198 Posts
colorado does have good-excellent walleye fishing. it's 80% of my fishing! this time of year it can be boon or bust. the key is persistence and deliberate presentations in 10 feet and shallower flats. like campingkids said, check out the CWA northern chapter.

L

·
0 Posts
Get the "In-Fisherman, Critical Concepts-Walleye #3" book. There are 5 books in the walleye series and the 3rd book is rigging techniques. The entire series is excellent but #3 is perhaps the best in my opinion. Alot of In-Fisherman stuff is better suited for Canada and the north (Minnesota, Michigan, etc...) but they still have usable info for any waters walleyes swim in.

I think one of the big draws of walleye fishing is the complexities of the species and numerous techniques. Don't get frustrated with walleye fishing, the species can be maddenly frustrating at times and pleasantly easy at other times.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I to am egear to catch some walleyes I am trying to learn all I can about them. I even went and helped with the spawn at Chatfield one day that was pretty kewl.
I think I might try swinging by a walleye seminar to when I get a chance. Here is an article written in the Denver post you might want to check out:
http://www.denverpost.com/rec/ci_3724320

Also here are some Walleye Seminars coming up:
Walleye Rigging -Sportsmans Warehouse
Description: Learn about walleye fishing tactics on local lakes and how to rig up a walleye boat. Speaker: Dave Kooser(president Colorado Walleye Association).
Date: May 20th, Saturday
Time: 12:00pm until finished
Tel./Email: 719-597-9200
[email protected]
Store Link: Colorado Springs

ROCKY MOUNTAIN WALLEYE FISHING -Sportsmans Warehouse
Description: Colorado Walleye Association Members will show techniques on bottom bouncing reservoirs as well as how to build your own. Crankbait use and necessary boating equipment will also be discussed.
Dates: May 6th, Saturday
Time: 12:00pm - 2:00pm
Tel./Email: 303-428-6500 ext 7
[email protected]
Store Link: Thornton

Walleye Fishing Clinic -Bass Pro Shops
April 23, 2006
On Sunday at 11:00 am a member of Outdoor World's fishing team or Pro-Staff will be teaching a clinic on Walleye Fishing. Our team will be showing techniques used from trolling lures with planner boards to live bait rigging to jigging. In addition, we will cover rods and reels that will make you a better walleye fisherman locally and regionally.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Ah jeez Reg, now I'm blushing. I think one of the biggest reasons why many don't catch walleyes here, is that they fish too fast. Especially this time of the year. SLOW DOWN! Barely twitch or drag the jig, let the crank sit there alittle. They like it slow.

P.S. You're not to bad yourself Reg, especially after that nice eye from Boyd the other day ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have no trouble taking it slow. i just want to make sure that i am doing it right. there are so many different ways to fish for them and a lot of the information doesnt line up with the types of lakes we have here. some of it does and i have managed to catch a few. i cant wait to get to know some of the people from the CWA. there are just some things that books cant teach you. years of experience and mountains of patience are priceless.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Dave, the other thing you need to determine is how do you really enjoy fishing for them. There are many different ways, and some techniques work better on certain days. I myself, really enjoy jigging, so I spend more time at that. But there are days that Trolling cranks are the way to go. Although, I don't enjoy this as much, it may be the ticket to putting fish in the boat. Maybe a slip bobber and live bait is hot. Don't be afraid to try new things, many of us get into a rut (myself included) of fishing the same way, all the time.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one of the things that i love most about fishing is that there are so many ways to fish. last year i was in jamaica fishing with some string wraped around a plastic bottle and using a spark plug as a sinker. two months later i was in alaska catching salmon with a fly rod and fishing for halibut. i get great satisfaction from catching a nice fish and bringing it home for dinner. i have yet to find a way of fishing that i didnt like even when i get skunked. beats staring at this cursed laptop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts