Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get this service... I am interested in getting my wife a gaming console and we want netflix if we do... Anyone tried it? Likes? Dislikes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,273 Posts
Works great. I have noticed that the instant queue movies are generally the same as what's on the Stars, Encore channels! So if you pay money for the movie channels you can save money by eliminating that part of you bill! The disadvantage is that you are stuck only watching what's available on the instant queue! I use a ROKU box, which is similar, but also allows Amazon movies, Hulu, and Pandora radio! So check out your options with the console before you make the purchases!



Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
I have it on wii you can also get it on bluray players both are great. my bluray also has hulu you tube and other stuff I dont use
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
Well, if it just for movies, then <shrug> I don't know anything about it. But what I do know, is if you want to play games with others, choose the playstation3 over the xbox. Xbox cost a monthly subscription, playstation3 is free. Im clueless on how the Wii works itself out, but it shouldn't matter, it sucks compared to the other two when it comes to games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
The Situation said:
Well, if it just for movies, then <shrug> I don't know anything about it. But what I do know, is if you want to play games with others, choose the playstation3 over the xbox. Xbox cost a monthly subscription, playstation3 is free. Im clueless on how the Wii works itself out, but it shouldn't matter, it sucks compared to the other two when it comes to games.
I'd recommend the opposite. The Playstation 3 does have free online service, however, there is a reason why XBox Live costs money - Better features (Such as party chat cross-game). I own both consoles, and I game almost exclusively on my XBox whereas my PS3 is used for blu-ray and Netflix streaming. This is one thing that I'll give the PS3 - Netflix stream quality always seems to be better on the PS3 than it is on my 360.

If you're looking at the Wii be aware that if you're using an HDTV, the Wii does NOT have HD streaming from Netflix whereas both the PS3 and Xbox 360 do.

For Netflix and movie entertainment, I'd say PS3. If you're wanting Netflix plus a whole lot of gaming, I'd go the XBox 360 route. I can't personally recommend the Wii, as it is inferior in every possible way, especially now that Playstation Move and Kinect are available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,666 Posts
if you are buying a blu ray player as well be carefull that you get one that is "wireless included" not just wireless ready....the wirless ready ones need a seperate wireless adapter that you have to buy, where the other blu rays have it all built in... they are usually only like $10 to $20 more while the adapters can cost up to $70... if you have wireless in your house already and you want to stream movies...i love it...i get on netflix and set up my instant movie que online(it is easier for me that way) then it all just comes up ready to go on my tv...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,144 Posts
I've used Netflix streaming from a PS3 and it worked fine. Be aware that it can use up a fair amount of bandwidth so if you have slowness in your network you will see it in the movies. I was hoping there was a way to invoke parental controls but did not see an easy way to do this at the time I tried it about a year ago. Is this a feature now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
work2fish said:
I've used Netflix streaming from a PS3 and it worked fine. Be aware that it can use up a fair amount of bandwidth so if you have slowness in your network you will see it in the movies. I was hoping there was a way to invoke parental controls but did not see an easy way to do this at the time I tried it about a year ago. Is this a feature now?
Netflix has parental control options that you can set through your Account settings on their website. They're pretty basic. You can't lock out based upon content, only the rating. I think this is due to so many movies on streaming being unrated which don't list what mature content the film contains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,144 Posts
WaterVsAnchor said:
Netflix has parental control options that you can set through your Account settings on their website. They're pretty basic. You can't lock out based upon content, only the rating. I think this is due to so many movies on streaming being unrated which don't list what mature content the film contains.
Thanks for the information...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
I have been thinking of this as well and have one question. I only have a 1.5 DSL connection. Can I stream movies over that or would I need a faster connection?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,144 Posts
bassmaster said:
I have been thinking of this as well and have one question. I only have a 1.5 DSL connection. Can I stream movies over that or would I need a faster connection?
I have the same speed connection and it works, though there are times when you can see it is trying to catch up and you get some pixelation. So it is not perfect, but is not too bad. They have a free one month trial so you wouldn't lose anything to try it out.

I live in an older neighborhood in which the wiring is very old. They keep promising to make higher speed DSL available but it never happens! I know I could look at cable or satellite service but I don't have either for TV and I need to have higher upload speeds since I transfer alot of stuff to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,649 Posts
I've used netflix over my Wii and my blu-ray player. Both are nice. The problem is that you don't really get HD with them. So, my brother got me an apple TV which also does netflix. It's only $99 now (no storage) and puts out true HD, so now we just use that. It also pipes my itunes to my entertainment center now, which is also nice. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Apple TV is pretty cool "if" you've got other Apple systems already, although it stills only displays in 720p, not full HD. The Roku XD and XDS are actually much better options and provide more features than Apple TV, such as Hulu and Amazon video, and it has been said by some networks (Such as NBC) that much of their soon-to-come content will not be made available to Apple TV users through Netflix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,182 Posts
work2fish said:
bassmaster said:
I have been thinking of this as well and have one question. I only have a 1.5 DSL connection. Can I stream movies over that or would I need a faster connection?
I have the same speed connection and it works, though there are times when you can see it is trying to catch up and you get some pixelation. So it is not perfect, but is not too bad. They have a free one month trial so you wouldn't lose anything to try it out.

I live in an older neighborhood in which the wiring is very old. They keep promising to make higher speed DSL available but it never happens! I know I could look at cable or satellite service but I don't have either for TV and I need to have higher upload speeds since I transfer alot of stuff to work.
Might call Comcast, I had Qwest 20Mb down and 896Kb up, called Comcast 25Mb down 4Mb up, and 29.99 a month for a year to boot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,649 Posts
WaterVsAnchor said:
Apple TV is pretty cool "if" you've got other Apple systems already, although it stills only displays in 720p, not full HD. The Roku XD and XDS are actually much better options and provide more features than Apple TV, such as Hulu and Amazon video, and it has been said by some networks (Such as NBC) that much of their soon-to-come content will not be made available to Apple TV users through Netflix.
I thought it was higher res but I haven't played with it too much. As for the other stuff, my tv has apps for that which is also cool. it's nice there are so many options to do this stuff now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Streaming Netflix is absolutely HORRID. It stops every 5 minutes to recache the stream and the quality keeps shifting from HD to 480p. I can't stand the service, and it is the fact that the current internet isn't truly equipped to handle mass streaming of such content, providers just aren't giving us a fat enough pipe to fit the data through. Europe has 5x to 10x our download and upload speeds, NO JOKE. Its the monopolies that cable providers have that is killing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
treaming Netflix is absolutely HORRID. It stops every 5 minutes to recache the stream
I would have to say this a problem for you personally in your location. I don't have problems like that. It streams fine through my Blu-Ray player, though I do have a physical connection to the router.

What does occur with the player is that some movies show up as unavailable, but can be played on the computer. I have a monitor converter for the laptop so I can stream through it onto my 20 year old Magnavox if we really want to watch something.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top